1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Homer, AK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Looking for a fun, challenging newspaper job that just so happens to be in one of the most beautiful places on the planet? The award-winning Homer News in Homer, Alaska, is currently looking for a Sports/Outdoors/General News Reporter. The person hired for this full-time, permanent position will be responsible for reporting on local sporting/outdoors events, business and government news, as well as other community news. The ability to write accurate and compelling stories under deadline pressure is essential. Photography skills necessary. Some knowledge of InDesign and Associated Press style and an interest in new media are definite pluses. Weekend and night work are part of the job. The successful applicant will demonstrate the ability to consistently meet deadlines, perform as a team player and generate and follow through on story ideas. The Homer News has a weekly readership of about 7,500 in its print edition, plus 7,500 unique visitors each week to its Web site.

Please send a cover letter, resume, clips and references to: Lori Evans, editor and publisher Homer News 3482 Landings St. Homer, AK 99603 Or e-mail: lori.evans@homernews.com Questions? (907) 235-7767

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sounds like an adventure.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Being an outdoor writer in Alaska is like covering 5A football in Texas or stock car racing in the Carolinas.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I had to Google just to find out where it is.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=homer+alaska&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=59.637211,-151.517944&spn=1.541065,3.532104&z=8&iwloc=A

At least you can walk to Russia.

6. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Beautiful area. I was up there for a few days last summer. As far as relevant feedback about this area, check out the recent posting of a job in Kenai and you're looking at something pretty similar.
    As far as the paper, I know nothing about it. Based on the job description, it sounds like there will be a lot of time to work and minimal time to play.
    Safety may be an issue, too, now that Sarah's no longer there to keep an eye on Putin ... so that's worth considering.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

Better not submit any clips in in which one appears to be rooting for the local team.

Homer is no place for a homer.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you've ever read Tom Bodett's books or heard the old NPR All Things Considered commentaries about life at the end of the road in Alaska ... well, this is the End of the Road. He based it on Homer.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tom Bodett is greatness. (And thanks for the spelling on that.)

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

From wikipedia:

Homer constructed its first traffic light in 2005.

Notable people from or living in Homer include:

* Tom Bodett, writer. Bodett is known for the Motel 6 "We'll leave the light on for you" advertisements, and the whimsical book about Homer, As Far as You Can go Without a Passport.

* Stacey Borgman, Olympic competitor in rowing.

* Lincoln Brewster, Christian Worship Musician

* Andy and John Hillstrand, captains of the F/V Time Bandit crab boat on the television series Deadliest Catch.

* Jewel, singer/songwriter.

* Jean Keene, the "Eagle Lady" of Homer, known for her decades-long history of feeding bald eagles on Homer Spit
    * Larry Martin, competitor in cross country skiing at the 1972 Olympic games in Sapporo, Japan. He spends his retirement from competition teaching others to ski.

* Tela O'Donnell, Olympic competitor in women's wrestling.

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Having spent lots of time in Homer I'm IRATE that I did not know this. I feel cheated out of a chance at love...

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She just ended up marrying some cowboy from Phoenix anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted