1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Hobbs, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Do you have a passion for writing? Is your knowledge of sports great enough to provide readers with the in-depth coverage they crave? If so, you might be the next addition to the News-Sun sports department. The Hobbs News-Sun, a 10,000 circulation, six-day a week newspaper in Hobbs, N.M., is seeking a sportswriter to add to its award- winning staff. The News-Sun two-person sports staff covers five area high schools, as well as a junior college and a NAIA college. In a coverage area of 50,000 people, prep and small college sports are king, and we cover them accordingly. Teams in the coverage area, which include the nationally renowned Hobbs High School boys basketball program and the defending Class 3A state championship Lovington High School football team, are competitive and regularly compete in the state playoffs in most sports. The successful applicant will be expected to write features and columns, as well as provide strong insight and analysis on teams in his or her beat. Experience working with Quark Xpress is a plus. Experience at a weekly or small daily newspaper is preferred, but not required. This position is ideal for recent college graduates who are looking for experience and are willing to be an integral part of our ever-improving sports section. Send cover letter, resume and clips to: Clayton Jones, Sports Editor, Hobbs News-Sun, 201 N. Thorp St Hobbs, NM 88240 or E-Mail to sportseditor@hobbsnews.com

2. nmsports

nmsports Member

Former coach Ralph Tasker is in the Hall of Fame and the school established national records for single-season scoring average (114.6 ppg) and consecutive games scoring 100+ points (14).
    If you want more, Google it.
    Hobbs, however, is essentially western Texas. Can't really say it's close to much of anything. Oil town. Definitely good hoops.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I spent a year there and read a lot of negative things about Hobbs on this board, but it turned out to be a nice gig. Jones is a good guy, he takes the job seriously but still has a good time doing it. The staff is full of quality folks and they hold a high standard. Hobbs basketball is definitely something worth experiencing and the facilities are pretty impressive. For example: Lovington has blue turf on it's football field like Boise State and Hobbs has a full 100 yard field in an air conditioned building with a collegiate quality weight room.

The only negative, other than the west Texas feel of the place, is that they've cut the staff from three sports writers down to two.

4. dracula

dracula New Member

I'm the guy who's leaving. I got a job at a bigger paper, which seems to be the trend for reporters at the News-Sun. PM me if you have any questions.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Where did you go? The Bloodthirsty Times?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decent gig for someone just getting started.

7. dracula

dracula New Member

Transylvania Picayune.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice chance for a recent grad...good luck rooks

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's a family-owned, but not a local family-owned. They weren't bad to work for when I worked for them, but I do know they are going through some trying times now like everybody else.

10. MMABuff

MMABuff New Member

anyone hear anything about this one yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted