1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Hobbs, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's funny because it's true.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I'll go ahead and state the obvious, Hobbs isn't the greatest town to live in, but it has its moments. I worked there for a year and can vouch for the two sports guys that the new hire would work with, they're both good guys despite the undying love for all things Pac-10. Hobbs gets a lot of events like the Globetrotters and monster trucks that you wouldn't expect for a small town. Hobbs basketball is like a religion, a packed Tasker Arena is a pretty cool thing to see.

The paper is solid for its size, the website side could use some work but for a small daily it's a well equipped and well run paper. I would say it's a solid spot for a first gig out of school or for someone trying to move up from non-daily ranks.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you do get hired here, try not to be like the guy who just went to Denton and gave no notice.

4. If the ownership is still Shearman Corp., then look out. One of the worst "family-owned" companies in the business. Owner himself couldn't be bothered with the operations of a newspaper. Money, money, money. Real estate, real estate, real estate. Spent a few months starting out at their paper in Colorado and got the hell out fast.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm all about truth in advertising, but who gives a shit about your experience ... i mean really?

how do i know:
    A. your publisher wasn't a dick
    B. your editor wasn't a dick
    C. your ME wasn't a dick
    D. your SE wasn't a dick
    E. you simply suck at what you do

i'm guessing this isn't a major chain with corporate mandates.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Your guess is correct.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

worth it just for hobbs hoops.

8. You're correct. It's about truth in advertising. I'm just passing along my experience with the company (which is not a major chain, but still not a good one).

Now. You don't know shit about me personally, so don't even pretend. Judging by your angry remarks, I would say you either have worked for the company (or still do) or are butt buddies with the management or something.

A, B and D are false. All three were dicks in their own unique ways. C is true. ME was a great guy. E you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you've never seen any page I've produced nor read any story I've written.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Keep the discussion to the job opening and not Hobbs alums, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted