1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Hobbs, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is what he meant. Jason Watkins went to Midland, then to Albequerque (sp.?) and now has left the business as far as I know.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Is it just me, or does this paper post an opening about once every three months?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think you are thinking of Roswell, but I could be wrong.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Hobbs is not too far behind. Southeastern New Mexico is a desolate, dreary hellhole. Why we fought a war to gain control of that territory, I will never understand.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oil and water.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Water?

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's north of the Rio Grande.

EDIT: The Mexican War ostensibly began over whether the Rio Grande or the Nueces River would be the international border. The territory between the two rivers was in dispute ever since the Texas War of Independence.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Hobbs is an utter shithole, a place that makes Roswell look like Manhattan and Clovis look like Toronto.

Covered a football game there when I was in Clovis. I was advised to drive my car (with the California plates) rather than my wife's newly registered car with the Curry County plates -- a bull's-eye for vandals.

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

This was the first job I interviewed for out of college. I got the offer, and pondered it really seriously but ultimately turned it down. I just couldn't envision myself living there. I did eat some really good chile relleno while I was there though. Jason Watkins was the SE at the time, and like someone else mentioned, everyone there was young. I met Russell (the editor) and he seemed like a great guy to work for. I don't regret not taking the job, but it certainly could be worse gig-wise, not really location-wise though.

10. Who's leaving?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, we all may have a chance soon:

Fri., Oct. 19 Clovis (N.M.) vs. Artesia (N.M.) 10 p.m. ESPNU

Draft saved Draft deleted