1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - (Hilo) Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, May 2, 2007.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I've often said that my fantasy is to drop everything and move to Hawai'i, with no plans, no job, etc.

I'm a big weather person (which is why I don't think I could ever live in a good chunk of the U.S.), and I can't imagine a more perfect climate than Hawai'i.

That said, beneath the veneer of the "Aloha spirit," there are a lot of social problems -- ethnic/racial/class resentment, land issues, Native issues, incredibly high cost of living. It's not a paradise in every sense, but I could make do for a while.

2. Boognish

Boognish Member

Don't forget about the drugs. Just ask Dog. Ice is the enemy.

I almost took a job on the Big Island running a collection station back when I was in the aquarium/marine wholesale business. My fear of large numbers of yellow tangs kept me from getting the position.

I actually lost the job to someone who already was out on the islands. I was so upset I decided to go back to college and study journalism ...

The one thing I heard a lot about when preparing for a possible move to the Big Island was the drug problem. Several people went on and on about the easy access to everything, and how there's a lot of hardcore users 'round the Hilo side of the island, resulting in more crime, better parties, the need for bushy mustached detectives, etc.

At the time I had dreadlocks and a long beard. So I was pretty excited about all that.

3. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

Funny you say that. One of my college buddies, from Hilo, did some time in a Federal pen for dealing there.

4. Zeke The Plumber

Zeke The Plumber New Member

So does anybody know much about the paper or the sports editor? Any good?

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

Can't speak for the Big Island, but Oahu is dubbed "The Ice Capitol of the World" by some of the locals. I would assume the drugs are pretty near as bad there.

Know where I can get some?

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not to mention the high cost of gasoline in Hawaii. It's worse than California (Ok, maybe not San Francisco)

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

You could just ride your bike in Hilo.

8. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

My friend got out, so I can send you his e-mail :)

Draft saved Draft deleted