1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Duton, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Duton

Duton Member

It's apparently sort of a g.a. type deal with some desk work involved. Could move to a beat quickly though.

Thanks for asking a question because it allows me to bump this thread with even less shame than I would have had.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jeremy's good. Congrats to him for making the jump.

3. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

The DNR is chock full o' class guys who will drive a drunken writer from out of town to McDonald's at 3 a.m.

And they can drink more than those oafs over at WHSV.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As I said when the DNR had the last opening, Duton's a decent fellow to work with. He'll provide plenty of fodder for tales to tell future co-workers after you leave Harrisonburg, too.

5. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

Congrats on Jeremy making the big jump. Just out of curiosity, how long was he at the DNR before he made the move?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rookie, he mentioned to me that he covered the Va. Tech-Pitt game in Blacksburg when Larry Fitzgerald was a freshman, so he's been there for a little bit now.

7. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

8. Actually I went to that game from purely a fan standpoint my freshman year at college (2002). I've only been at the DN-R for about a year.

Potential applicants: Feel free to PM me about the job, and hopefully I can answer all your questions. As it's been said before on this board, you can't do better than Chris Simmons as an editor. He's a major metro NYC guy masquerading at a 32k circ paper.

And Cosmo, anytime you're up in NYC or Northern Jersey area give me a shout. First few rounds are on me.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oops. Never mind about that then, I misunderstood what he was saying. Haha.

Any young buck who doesn't apply for a gig at this paper is seriously stupid.

10. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Was this filled?

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You're not hired!

12. Duton

Duton Member

Actually, no we're still working on it. We have done interviews, and we got plenty of applications, unlike last time, so that's why I haven't bumped this. But that doesn't mean you can't still apply. Anything you'd send now would still find consideration.

Draft saved Draft deleted