1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Duton, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Duton

Duton Member

We got another one, folks:

The Daily News-Record, a 32,000-circulation Monday-Saturday newspaper (no Sunday edition) in Harrisonburg, Va., is seeking a sports writer. The beat includes home and away coverage of a Division III football team, mostly home coverage of a Division I women's basketball team, and girls sports. In addition, the job entails some desk work. We have a six-person, news-oriented sports staff. Harrisonburg is a college town -- James Madison University and two small schools are here -- in the Shenandoah Valley, two hours southwest of D.C. Essentially, this is an entry-level job, though applicants with a year or two of experience also will be considered. Send a cover letter and clips to csimmons@dnronline.com or Chris Simmons, Sports Editor, Daily News-Record, 231 S. Liberty St., Harrisonburg, Va. 22803. We'd prefer East Coast applicants.

We finally filled that last position with a Rutgers grad named Brent Johnson who started here a week ago. Shortly thereafter, however, Jeremy Cothran, who had moved up from Brent's current job to this posted beat, got a job working at the Newark Star-Ledger. Obviously, huge step up and big-time congrats to Cothran. He's come a long way since he got here, and he's very talented.

That of course, is additional proof that you can definitely move up from here. As I've said 10 million times before, Chris Simmons is as good a sports editor as you'll find at a 30,000 circ paper. He will make you a lot better, especially if you buy in.

The Division III school is Bridgewater College, which made the NCAA Tournament for the last six years until this one. The Women's team is James Madison, which has a shot at making the NCAA Tournament this year.

Unlike the last job, there is virtually no pagination involved in this one. You have to do scoreboard once or twice a week, and that is very easy. This is a really good entry level job.

Of course, again, p.m. me for any details as always, and I'll probably just post on here at random anyway.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Congrats to Cothran. Enjoy NYC brotha!

Can Duton shuffle cards yet?

3. Duton

Duton Member

Just barely. But I'm still not actually good at poker.

4. 35in44

35in44 Member

Whatever. I'm still bitter about that one hand you beat me. I really thought I had that bluff....Almost two years later and I'm still mad.

In all seriousness, this is a good job. People move to bigger and better things from this paper and this specific job/role at the Daily News-Record and Jeremy is just the latest. Congrats to him and get your stuff in.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Moddy Seal is permanent at this place. Jump on this one.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Congrats to Jeremy, who I met via this board. Good guy.

So is Chris Simmons, your prospective boss at the DNR. Last verse, same as this verse about working there... you'll come out better than when you went in and Chris will let you broaden your horizons as long as you get your work done.

He lurks here on occasion, so 'Hi Chris.'

7. Duton

Duton Member

Thanks as always Moddy. Your support is appreciated.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I does what I can. I don't give the Seal of Approval out like candy. It has to be EARNED!

9. boots

boots New Member

This also has the boots seal of approval which definitely isn't passed out lightly.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's a Qdoba in Harrisonburg. Big plus. I'm eating there Wednesday when I go up for a game. JMU has hot girls too.

11. Napolean23

Napolean23 Member

Cothran is a chump and has no skills at golf or basketball!!!

Kidding of course. Good for him. Having talked him with him, I know this job is one that he liked and can obviously push talented people to the next level...

12. Baba_Booey

Baba_Booey Member

Just curious, what's Cothran covering for the Ledger?

Draft saved Draft deleted