1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 4, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We posted on journalismjobs.com the other day. Here is.

The Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News is looking for a writer who excels in producing award-winning sports enterprise, from the ideas to the reporting to the writing and packaging. A digital-first mentality required. Candidates need to show an ability to comprehend and cover a variety of sports, from high school field hockey to Penn State football and display a knowledge and comfort level with Twitter, Facebook and multimedia. Looking for someone who also can write on issues related to high school sports and talk to those who administer and oversee programs, leagues and school districts. Need reliable transportation to cover local events and an iPhone. Apply to sports editor Paul Vigna at pvigna@pnco.com or send package to The Patriot-News, 2020 Technology Parkway, Suite 300, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050.

If you have any questions, PM me. Don't know how much I can tell you about $$$, though.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you get a chance to work with someone like Paul, you'll come out of it much better for the experience. This is a tremendous opportunity for someone. My guess is this is Stef Loh's job?

I am curious about the iPhone thing - does the paper use them to post things, etc.? Does it pay for the phone? We allow our reporters to get whatever kind of phone they want and give them a monthly allowance for it. Not a knock of any kind, just a question.

3. jr/shotglass

It is Stef Loh's job, Moddy. Although the specific duties are very much up in the air.

Our reporters have been provided with iPhones and Macbooks, and have been trained on using them for social media, blog posting and the like.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I understand they are down to the finalists on this one. jr/shotglass will probably update.

5. jr/shotglass

I believe Paul wants to have someone hired by next weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted