1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Greenwood (S.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottJBryan, May 1, 2007.

1. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

First, I want to thank all who applied for the sports writer position here at The Index-Journal. During our hiring process, our other sportswriter left to return to school and pursue his master's degree in counseling. He'd been in the business for a year, and I think he realized he wanted to get into another profession.

With that said, we had two positions open, and I'm happy to announce we've filled both of them.

Matt Anderson, a 2007 graduate of the University of Minnesota, has been hired to fill one position. Kevin Fiorenzo, a 2006 graduate of Penn State and a former intern for MLB.com, has been hired to fill the other position.

I congratulate Mr. Anderson and Mr. Fiorenzo on being hired, and I'd like to thank everybody for their time in applying. We had more than 80 applicants for the job, and for those who didn't get the gigs, I certainly wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Thanks again.

Scott J. Bryan
    Sports Editor
    The Index-Journal

2. boots

boots New Member

Scott thanks for the update. Again, this job had the coveted boots seal of approval. It will provide a great opportunity for these guys.

3. Jeff Kidd

Jeff Kidd New Member

Congratulations to Matt and Kevin ... and to Scott. Your first hire(s) in your new gig. (Sigh.)

They grow up so fast, don't they.

Here's to a good, long Greenwood run for all three of you. And welcome to the Palmetto state, Matt and Kevin.

4. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Thanks for the kinds words Boots and Jeff. I certainly wish Jeff the best of luck in his search for a sportswriter in Hilton Head. You couldn't find a classier guy to work for, and the Island-Packet does a tremendous job. They've been kicking ass in the annual SCPA awards ceremony for quite some time; but hopefully the staff we've put together can put a dent into their practice of renting a Uhaul to carry home all those awards!

Thanks again everybody for applying and all those kind words you people said while we were searching for a sportswriter. If you haven't received your check in the mail, call your local post office!

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Scott, congrats on the hires. Your boss is a great guy and you should be in a good position to make a lot of positive things happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted