1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Greenwood (S.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottJBryan, May 1, 2007.

1. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

The Index-Journal, a 16,000-circulation daily in Greenwood, S.C., is looking for a talented, energetic sports writer to join its team.
    We’re looking for somebody who understands that local sports matter and can convey that through stories and photos in our sports section. Our publication covers 11 high schools, two Division II colleges and various other sporting events in our four-county coverage area. The writer hired will also have to shoot photos and occasionally design pages.
    This is the ideal job for somebody fresh out of college or a talented journalist looking to make the move up from a weekly, but proven veterans looking to relocate to a charming Southern town are also welcome to apply.
    Send resumes, clips and references (via regular mail or e-mail) to:
    Scott J. Bryan
    Sports Editor
    P.O. Box 1018
    Greenwood, SC 29648
    SBryan@indexjournal.com.
    No phone calls, please.

_____

This is posted on a few job boards, but I wanted to get it on here, as well.

Here are a few things not included in the ad.

1.) Location: Greenwood is about an hour from Greenville, a little over an hour from Augusta and about an hour and a half from Columbia.

2.) The town: I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I've only been here for two days. But it does appear to be a decent, little town. We've got restaurants, a movie theater, a bowling alley, golf courses and more than enough bars and churches.

3.) The staff: The sports editor will serve as the primary copy editor/designer and also do all the planning, as you would expect. Under the SE are two full-time sports writers, one old-timer (who handles the local golf and outdoors page and some of the Division II coverage), a shared copy editor/page designer (he'll work three days news, two days sports, but could move to news full-time) and a clerk (to handle calls). The position was created when the sports copy editor was moved to a shared position. We do not have a staff photographer, which means sports must shoot its own photos, but that also allows us to have a bigger staff than most small papers.

4.) The schedule: Afternoons, nights and weekends, of course. I, being the nice guy that I am, will do my best to give everybody a weekend off here or there.

5.) The paper: The sports section has been pretty weak for a while. I'm hoping to change that. The person I hire, hopefully, will be instrumental in changing that. My goal is to make this one of the small daily sports sections in the state, region and country. But our first priority is to serve the readers. Some big things are going to happen here soon. The managing editor is currently working on a redesign and we'll have a new Web site in the coming months.

6.) Pay: The good news is we'll pay you; the bad news is it won't be a lot. But Greenwood is a very affordable (read: cheap) place to live. We're not going to offer you $18K, but if you're expecting $30K at a 16,000-circulation daily in a town with a low cost of living, you're fooling yourself.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, post it here or send me an e-mail at SBryan@indexjournal.com. Please, please, please, no phone calls.

Thanks.

Scott J. Bryan
    Sports Editor
    Greenwood Index-Journal

P.S. The check is in the mail, Moddy. A seal of approval would be nice.

2. boots

boots New Member

You don't have to wait for moddy's modest seal. Greenwood is a good learning place. There have been some changes there. It appears, from my understanding, that everything is rolling along very well now.
    It gets the coveted boots seal of approval. I'm sure moddy may chime in with a little something extra, but boys and girls, you could do much worse.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It gets the Ducky seal of approval, too. ;-)

Regardless, boots should probably learn to read. It's Greenwood, SC, not Greenville, bootsy.

4. boots

boots New Member

I know the difference big guy. I was thinking Greenville. I'm not the first or the last to make that mistake. And I will fix the post.

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

sounds like a great place to start...

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Let's just say that as long as you don't have a history of running the state capital paper's story from the big in-state rivalry game as your own, you'll be okay.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seal (the real one) granted. Don't know shit about the town or the paper but the editor is a fine fellow with a lot of good ideas and, if he's allowed to do the things he wants, he will do well here.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Plus, it's not too far from Abbeville.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1824007/posts

Seriously, I know a lot of the coaches in and around Greenwood, and they couldn't be easier to work with.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good place for a youngster to learn. Scott has experience running a desk, and better yet, has worked for Greenwood's editor, Shawn Lewis, before. So their interaction and backing will be there.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Ah, Abbeville, home of the Panthers. Option football at its best, one of the tiniest gyms i've ever seen, and birthplace of the greatest name i've come across so far.. D'Jario Slappy.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And for fun, google the football stadium in Abbeville. You'll get several hits for KKK ralies that used to take place there long time ago because it was the largest open field in the area.

12. I've had the pleasure of knowing Scott for quite some time now. Great guy, and whoever gets this gig will learn from one of the best. And yes, Abbeville does have a small gym.

Draft saved Draft deleted