1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Greenwood, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by scottchancey, Jul 31, 2014.

1. scottchancey

scottchancey New Member

The Index-Journal sports section has won three APSE national awards during the past three years. Twice, we were recognized for having one of the country’s best special sections, and once for being among the best daily sections.
    Want to help us win another one?
    The 12,000-circulation daily, the Index-Journal, in Greenwood, S.C., is looking for a sports writer to do just that.
    Why Greenwood?
    Greenwood is a hotbed for high school football (Greenwood High School won a state title in 2012). It’s a hotbed for college baseball (Lander University reached the NCAA Division II World Series this past spring). And, it’s a hotbed for baseball and softball (Ninety Six and Dixie won state titles last spring in baseball and softball, respectively).
    We are a place where you can not only start your career, but also grow it.
    You get to prove yourself on a daily basis, developing sources and writing compelling features and breaking news because of your camaraderie with your sources.
    We are a three-person staff that primarily focuses on covering local sports. With a universal desk in place, sports staffers typically only have to design the Sports section one day a week. That said, a working knowledge of InDesign is preferred.
    We have fun. But we work hard.
    But when you’re doing what you love, it’s not like work at all.
    We want that kind of candidate – energetic, passionate about sports and has a desire to tell those sports stories to the community.
    Is that you?
    Send cover letter, resume and work samples to schancey@indexjournal.com. No phone calls, please.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Re: SPORTS-WRITER OPENING AT APSE AWARD-WINNING SECTION!

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

As the former associate editor and sports editor of this newspaper, I have nothing but positive things to say. The Index-Journal won 143 South Carolina Press Association awards in the last four years, including the top honor, the President's Cup, twice.

Sports writers from this paper have gone on to bigger newspapers. You'll work hard, but you'll have the freedom to do projects, enterprise stories and more. The I-J takes its sports coverage serious -- my replacement as ME was Gregg Hampton, the former ASE in Knoxville, Tenn. Scott Chancey is a veteran sports writer from Georgia with a handful of APSEs on his resume.

The position became vacant when sports writer Jordan Anders accepted a job as a sports writer at the Hickory (N.C.) Daily Record. I hear some jackass hired him. :)

You can PM me if you have any questions, or feel free to search on here for previous postings about Greenwood and the Index-Journal.

Scott J. Bryan
    Editor
    Hickory (N.C.) Daily Record

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Has this newspaper won any awards?

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Scott is good people, and they do good work. Recommended.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's a lot of hotbeds.

7. SnarkShark

I hate sleeping in a hot bed. This job is not for me.

8. scottchancey

scottchancey New Member

@Versatile, the Index-Journal has won three APSE national awards in three years. Numerous S.C. Press Association accolades as well.

9. SnarkShark

That's a lot of awards.

10. JordanA

JordanA Member

Indeed, this is my gig they're trying to fill. Spent just a tick less than two years here, and got some great experience covering some wonderful people. The coaches on my beats were spectacular to deal with. Anyone with any questions can shoot me a PM.

11. scottchancey

scottchancey New Member

@SnarkShark, yes, that's a lot of awards. thank you

12. Is the pay award-winning?

Draft saved Draft deleted