1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Green Bay, Wisc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me too!!
    Me too!!

2. accguy

accguy Member

I don't have a dog in this fight, but one has to remember that this is the smallest paper that has a NFL team in town. Yes, the Packers are a big deal, but because of circulation/revenue base, it isn't like the P-G has the ability to drop 80K and pluck an established NFL writer from a metro paper.

It's just the reality.

3. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

All very true. If you consider the resources of that place, it's nothing short of remarkable that Pete Dougherty and Rob Demovsky do the job they do. Are they as good as McGinn, Silverstein and Bedard? Of course not, but I would argue that no paper has a better 1-2 punch than the J-S and only a couple have three guys that good full time on a NFL beat.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Unless you have the TV rights, you aren't providing "real-time" professional football coverage. But it sounds nice to say it.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Let's be honest, how many papers have their No. 2 guy on the NFL beat also cover a Division I college hoops team? I'm guessing none.

6. Young and cheap, damn I should have applied :) I even have a little bit of Packers coverage under my belt, too!

7. esport12

esport12 Member

I heard this one has been filled. Can't reveal the name yet, but, imho, a very nice hire.

8. I heard it was one of the finalists mentioned above, but not the other one.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So was it Young or was it Cheap? Which one of them got it?

10. packwriter2002

packwriter2002 New Member

Thanks for the kind words, stranger. It was good times at the N-C. Good luck to whoever replaces Tom at the P-G. Pete and Rob are good guys and good writers, and Mike's a great boss.

11. CRM

CRM Member

They hired Kareem Copeland, who worked in Wausau, Wis. (preps), Hattiesburg, Miss. (Southern Miss), and Jackson Miss. (Jackson State), all Gannett papers.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Good for him. And the hire makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.