1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Green Bay, Wisc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

I know a lot of big names who applied and they didn't even get a sniff. Without naming names, someone who covers the Broncos who has ties to the area applied and would have been a slam dunk. Since Dougherty and Demovsky are so good I guess they figure they'd rather hire someone young and cheap.

2. PP and K

PP and K New Member

Yes, they did. Bill Huber came to the Press-Gazette from the N-C and did a nice job on the desk. He's since moved on to be editor of Packer Report. They also hired a handful of N-C people on news side.

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

They need all the help they can get. Dougherty and Demovsky are OK, but really, if you're a Packers fan, you don't go to the Press-Gazette for your top-notch Packers coverage. They're consistently beaten by the Journal Sentinel in that regard. It's not even close.

4. My mistake, PP and K. I did not realize they hired Bill and I stand corrected. I just knew they did not hire any of the sports writing staff. Bill was indeed a desk whiz at the N-C and it's no surprise he offered the same at the Press-Gazette.

5. I have to agree with Area Man here. Demovsky and Dougherty are OK, but they do get scooped by the Journal Sentinel. From what I've seen, their coverage and writing is pretty ho-hum. I wouldn't say they're on Bob McGinn's level.

6. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Nobody is on Bob McGinn's level. Hell, nobody is on Tom Silverstein's level.

Let's be fair though, the J-S has arguably two of the best NFL beat writers out there.

The PG could have hired someone good for this third spot, but it sounds like they're going to hire someone young and cheap.

7. Hey, Guillermo. You heated about this? They hired who they hired. Good luck to be person who got hired, ya dig?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I get what you're saying BDMJ, but Guillermo also has a point.
    I remember when the J-S had a Packers opening a couple of years back. Word was they were going after some of the best Packers writers in the state. And here we are with the P-G, which is easily the jv team for Packers coverage, and rumor is they're taking the cheaper way out.
    It is what it is

9. goodgolly

goodgolly New Member

Does anybody actually know what's going on, or are we all just assuming because nobody's heard anything? I didn't think the ad was up until late May. Maybe they haven't contacted anybody yet.

10. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

It's down to two. I don't think either has NFL experience.

11. goodgolly

goodgolly New Member

Well, OK then. ;D

12. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

I'll be very interested to see who gets it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.