1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Green Bay, Wisc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Green Bay Press-Gazette seeks an experienced sports journalist to extend multi-media coverage of our franchise sports topic, the Green Bay Packers. Candidate must demonstrate related experience with new and social media skills necessary to maintain cutting edge, real time coverage of professional football. Join a team as comfortable in front of the camera as its members are in front a keyboard. Our candidate will provide print and online coverage of one of the best known sports franchises in the nation. You’ll be filing everything from instant updates to Sunday print narratives. Will work with other beat writers and sports, online and video editors to plan coverage, as well as assume some administrative responsibilities in the absence of the sports editor. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and previous experience covering a professional or Division 1 college team (experience covering an NFL beat preferred). Experience using social media required. Previous supervisory experience, as well as knowledge of HTML and digital editing programs, a plus. Send a resume and cover letter telling us why you’re the candidate for the job to: careers@greenbay.gannett.com. Please include links to your print and multimedia work. The Green Bay Press-Gazette is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug screen.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice that they are open to someone that has covered D-I college...often times these NFL gigs are limited only to people with NFL beat experience. An open door for someone looking to step up. Good luck, all.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Everyone who's ever covered an NFL beat was new to it at some point. Nice that the Gazette seems to realize that.

It is. however, Gannett. Does anyone know if the Gazette hired any of the old News-Chronicle folks when they bought that paper and shut it down?

4. The Gazette didn't hire any of the N-C sports folks. I can't speak for news.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I saw this paper a few weeks back and was very impressed. They do a great job covering everything up there, not just the Packers. I guess it should go without saying that this is a primo gig.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Would be a very cool gig, even if you're working for Gannett. Speaking of, have they ever been known to hire from outside the company? Seems like people often move up the chain, but rarely move in. But that's just my speculation.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Thats a shame. Met some of those guys when I covered Packer camp in 2005 after they'd just been bought by Gannett. Very ironic that a guy who made a show of making a stand against Gannett and its practices (and had a book written about it) would end up selling out to them.

I'd love to apply for this one, being from Wisconsin, but I don't have the experience covering a pro team, unless a summer covering minor league baseball in Texas in 1997 counts.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Dream job for lots of people.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

If only Gannett weren't in the mix.
    To some, working in McDonald's is a dream job and judging from the wages that are being offered for many journalism jobs, its may be a better gig.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Plus, they listed the salary as $30k-$60k. I couldn't imagine them actually paying only $30k for a gig like that.

11. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

I'll bet the salary is closer to $30K than it is to $60K. It's a good job, but you're the third guy on the beat and there's a lot of desk involved.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Anyone hear anything on this one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.