1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Grand Haven, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Sports Writer - Grand Haven, MI 49417 - Indeed.com

The Grand Haven Tribune is seeking a motivated, creative and detail-driven person to join its award-winning sports staff. The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who has a passion for sports at the high school and recreational level. We’re looking for someone who can not only report the scores, but also find creative ways to share the stories these teams and athletes have to tell, both in print and on our robust digital platform. Must be a strong writer with intimate knowledge of Associated Press style, be a wiz with social media and cool under strict deadline pressure. Photography and video experience is a big plus. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package, including health care, paid vacation time, 401(k) and more. The Grand Haven Tribune is a family-owned six-days-a-week newspaper located in beautiful Grand Haven

Job Type: Full-time

Experience:

• Journalism: 1 year (Preferred)
    Benefits offered:

• Paid time off
    • Health insurance
    • Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules

I'll give some insight as best I can since I work for a local paper nearby and we share content at times. A very community oriented newspaper with passion. It's locally owned which is rare and there are some pretty good sports teams in the area.

Grand Haven is an incredible city in the summer, a tourist paradise and much more quiet in the winter. Cost of living should be on average with what you should make there but I'm not 100 percent certain. Only 30-45 minutes from Grand Rapids for a big city feel and 3 - 3.5 hours from Chicago.

A good gig, the guy who is leaving is leaving for a bigger job at a bigger town so it's a great starter job.

2. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

I'm in the region and these guys win MPA awards left and right. They do good work.

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

This one is back open. The guy who took it got another job in the area, working in media still but not sports.

I'll reiterate that this is a good shop. I'll do best what I can to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Description:
    The Grand Haven Tribune is seeking a reporter to join its award-winning sports staff. The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who has a passion for sports at the high school and recreational level.

We’re looking for someone who can not only report the scores, but also find creative ways to share the stories these teams and athletes have to tell, both in print and on our robust digital platform. Must be a strong writer with intimate knowledge of Associated Press style, be a wiz with social media and cool under strict deadline pressure. Photography and video experience are a big plus. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.

We offer paid vacation days and holidays, paid sick time, health insurance and a matching 401(k) plan. Send a cover letter and resume to Matt DeYoung at mdeyoung@grandhaventribune.com. The Grand Haven Tribune is a daily newspaper publishing six days a week, located on the shores of Lake Michigan in beautiful Grand Haven.

4. bevo

bevo Member

Should note paper is no longer locally owned. Paxton bought it about a month ago.

5. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Well, guess I won't be applying after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted