1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Glens Falls (N.Y.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Appgrad05, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know someone who was close to the paper/section/SE/area as well. said the same thing.

but can a person afford to live in glens falls?

2. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

There is no finer place for a young writer to learn and grow than The Post-Star. Yes, it gets cold. Pay is not fantastic, but it is tolerable given the cost of living there. If this is the career you want, this is the place to really get it started.

3. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Besides that, when the new strat-o-matic cards come out you can be one of the first in line since the company's based there

4. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Does anyone know if there has there been any movement on this?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they are interviewing every person who sent in a resume except for you. flying them out and everything.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I can't think of a better small-paper setting in the state to cut your teeth. Good people, good sports section

7. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Anyone with a serious answer?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's Glen Cove, on Long Island.

If you go to Glens Falls for the first day of Strat-o-Matic, you'd be cold, tired and eventually dead before you got your hands on the new cards.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean the fanboi is wrong?

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I live nearby, and I've been in that sports department, and it's one of those great pull-together kind of places. They work hard and put out a great section, and there's a great sense of camaraderie.

It's an interesting place to be, because the state boys' basketball tournament is here, and are the boys' and girls' federation basketball tournaments, as well as the state volleyball.

The weather is typical New England. We're not in the lake effect snow belt. It's really not a lot different than other palces I have lived in New England (Rhode Island, Connecticut, Boston), except that we do get below zero a little more often.

Cost of living is not terribly high here.

This would be a great gig.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Dude, give it some time. Positions usually aren't filled in a week.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i filled one in a day once.

Draft saved Draft deleted