1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Glens Falls (N.Y.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Appgrad05, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

From APSE:

The Post-Star and poststar.com is looking for a sportswriter who wants to be part of an award-winning staff in upstate New York. This position is geared toward coverage of high school and recreation sports, as well as feature writing. There would be some editing and page design involved in the job.

We would prefer a writer who has daily newspaper experience, but we will consider an exceptional entry-level candidate.

Our 34,000-circulation newspaper is consistently ranked among the best sports sections in the nation for our size by APSE. Our community offers a wide variety of sports, including state basketball tournaments in volleyball and basketball, Saratoga horse racing, summer-league baseball and plenty of prep sports.

Candidates may send a resume and examples of their writing to the address below. No phone calls, please.

Greg Brownell
    Sports Editor
    The Post-Star
    P.O. Box 2157
    Glens Falls, NY 12801

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2008/2182.html

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Wow ... I am the first to say Brownell is a classy guy? Hooray!

rb

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

These guys always clean up in the under-40K category in the APSEs. I have to think this is a mighty good job.

4. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

This is a very good job in a very nice part of upstate New York. These folks do it right.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about the area. It's upstate, so I'm guessing it gets pretty effin cold during the winter months with plenty of snow. Anyone wanna shed some light?

6. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

It does get pretty cold there and, yes, they do get quite a bit of snow. But the summers are very nice, and you've got Saratoga Race Track just down the road. Overall, a very nice area, and a very good paper.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Who's leaving? For where?

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think they have a writer who is going to or has already arrived at the Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle.

I talked to Mr. Brownell about a gig a few years ago. The logistics didn't work out, but he was very honest with me, and he seemed like a genuine guy. And as somebody mentioned, this paper competes for awards and does very good work.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I hung out with Greg for awhile at the APSE convention last year. He is definitely one of the people who inspired me to not run away and join the circus. Yet.

10. I can't help it, but every time I see Glens Falls, one name comes to mind ....
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Glen Falls has a Burger King which offers some really nice deals.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Excellent paper; Beautiful part of the country; Greg is a classy man and terrific SE.

Draft saved Draft deleted