1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Garden City, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Garden City Telegram seeks a sports writer to join its sports staff. The successful candidate will help develop story ideas and provide coverage for 19 high schools and one community college in our 12-county area, and will be a key member on a staff of two full-time sports reporters. Responsibilities would include event coverage, features, columns, copy editing and some multimedia and page design. Candidates should have strong writing and reporting skills, knowledge of or willingness to embrace multimedia and online journalism, be willing to travel, and able to work nights and weekends. The Telegram, part of the six newspaper Harris Group, offers a generous salary and benefits, a chance to work with an outstanding staff and opportunity for advancement. The Telegram is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send résumé, cover letter and work samples to: Brett Marshall, sports editor, The Garden City Telegram, 310 N. Seventh St., Garden City, KS 67846 or e-mail bmarshall@gctelegram.com

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hope you like the smell of cow shit. In the heart of feed lot country.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's the smell of money, or so my grandpa used to tell me.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Hard to beat Jayhawk League baseball.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My family -- which owns a large commercial farm in central Alabama -- used that phrase with pigs.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The person who named Garden City has to be a descendent of the Viking who named Greenland. It would be hard to find a place that is more misnamed.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If you're ever out here, check out Hawaiian Gardens.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmmm, could be like Peanut Butter and Chocolate...

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Our son and one of his friends spent the weekend at the friend's grandparents' farm last summer.

Grandpa told me they had a fine time "fishing, playing in the pasture and the creek, having cow shit battles and ..."

I said what? Cow shit battles?

"Yeah, throwing cow shit at each other. It washes off."

I know it washes off. I grew up with cows. I just can't imagine intentionally scooping up some or getting hit by it.

But yes, cow shit is the smell of money. Probably could get a damn fine ribeye in Garden City, too.

Carry on.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I grew up in cow-shit country. It's like living in Hershey, Pa. You stop smelling the chocolate after a few days.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Be prepared to jump onto the crime beat if there's a murder at a local farmhouse. Beware of weird, short writers who might try to scoop you.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted