1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Garden City, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

From JJobs:
    Company: The Garden City Telegram
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 4, 2007
    Job ID: 273593

Description:
    The Garden City Telegram seeks a motivated person to join its sports staff. The successful candidate will work with the sports editor in developing story ideas and coverage for 19 high schools and one community college in our 12-county area, and will be a key member on a staff of three full-time and three part-time sports reporters. Responsibilities would include event coverage, features, special projects, one column per week, and some copy editing and page design. Candidates should have strong writing and reporting skills, be willing to travel, and able to work some nights and weekends. Experience with InDesign preferred. The Telegram, part of the eight-newspaper Harris Group, offers a generous salary and benefits, a chance to work with an outstanding staff and opportunity for advancement. We are an afternoon daily with a Saturday morning edition, located in the economic hub of southwest Kansas. The Telegram is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send résumé, cover letter and work samples to: Tony Adame, sports editor, The Garden City Telegram, 310 N. Seventh St., Garden City, KS 67846 or e-mail tadame@gctelegram.com

Question to the board: Is this a great place to start or a tough place to stay? This is not the first opening there recently. I do know the JUCO is strong.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Anybody know anything about this?

Wasn't it open not too long ago?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think this is one of those jobs that's perpetually open. Seems like it's been on here a lot.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Yeah, I know Garden City is out in the sticks, so writers might just get some good clips and move on.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I interviewed there once and came away pretty impressed for a small town paper. I think the sports editor has changed since then, but Harris is a pretty decent chain. Garden City gets a bad rap, some of it deserved, but the town isn't as bad as its reputation. It's pretty isolated though.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I agree that Garden City gets a bad rap. Great little town. The only crutch is it's in the middle of nowhere. You'll have a hard time finding a better staff around you, though. If you're just starting out in the biz, it's a great place to be.

7. Oz

Oz Active Member

And the IBP plant when they boil cattle blood, leaving that smell to hang over the town. But you're right, there are far worse places to start. A lot of good people have gone through there, then moved elsewhere.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Garden City isn't a bad place. It's just in the middle of nowhere. I do know the ME and Publisher are two great people, a rare combination at ANY paper. It's a pretty good springboard job.

Draft saved Draft deleted