1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Garden City, Kan.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kingcreole, Aug 2, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?Media=all&JobID=273593

This is the paper I got my start at. It's out in the middle of nowhere but a good paper to work for. The publisher is awesome, and the ME is one of the most outstanding persons in the world. Good golf in town, too. It's a city of about 30,000 people with strong prep sports in the area, plus a junior college.

2. What would the gig pay?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

As a fresh, out-of-college grad in Dec. 1999, I made more than enough to live in a nice apartment with a good car.

Bulls fan, check your PMs for further details.

4. Buffalo Dunes is a hellacious golf course, particularly considering GC is in the middle of nowhere.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I will second the motion on the comment about the publisher. She was my boss for a while. A great person to work for.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I also got my start there, and it's a good place to start. The writing staff has almost completely turned over since I lived in GC, but still looks to be pretty young.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Make that two openings in Garden City. From jjobs:

Company: The Garden City Telegram
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 8, 2006
    Job ID: 578459
    Description:
    The Garden City Telegram is seeking a talented and ambitious sports editor to lead a staff of two full-time and three part-time sports writers. The successful candidate must be strong in many areas, from writing game stories, features, columns and enterprise stories to copy editing and daily pagination of the sports section. The successful candidate would be able to handle short- and long-range planning of sports coverage and special projects, as well as the daily operations of the sports department. The Telegram covers 19 high schools and one community college in a 12-county area. Strong writing and editing skills, a willingness to travel and an ability to work some nights and weekends are required. Experience with QuarkXPress helpful. The Telegram, a member of the eight-newspaper Harris Group, offers a generous salary and benefits package. The Telegram is an afternoon daily with a Saturday morning edition, located in the economic hub of southwest Kansas. The Telegram is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Send cover letter, resume, work samples and references to Brett Riggs, Managing Editor, The Garden City Telegram, P.O. Box 958, Garden City, KS 67846, or by e-mail at riggs@gctelegram.com.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Prairie Dunes, too, where I used to write in Hutchinson. While I didn't work in Garden City, both kingcreole and EmbassyRow never complained (too much) about their jobs. It's not the worst place to break in. You just have to grow accustomed to the meat packing plant, which does take some time.

There are far worse newspaper organizations to work for than Harris Group.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's usually the city/area and not the paper that equals this paper's high turnover.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

better late than never, but..............
    YOU'RE HIRED!!!!!!!!!

11. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

I know the No. 2 guy went to Hays, but what happened to the sports ed? I never heard anything and I'm in Dodge.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I heard he resigned, but is still the ASE.

Draft saved Draft deleted