1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Garden City (Kan.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, May 19, 2008.

1. From JJobs.com

Company: The Garden City Telegram
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: June 22, 2008
    Job ID: 273593

Description:
    The Garden City Telegram seeks a sports writer to join its sports staff. The successful candidate will help develop story ideas and provide coverage for 19 high schools and one community college in our 12-county area, and will be a key member on a staff of three full-time sports reporters. Responsibilities would include event coverage, features, special projects, columns, and some copy editing and page design. Candidates should have strong writing and reporting skills, be willing to travel, and able to work nights and weekends. The Telegram, part of the six newspaper Harris Group, offers a generous salary and benefits, a chance to work with an outstanding staff and opportunity for advancement. We are an afternoon daily with a Saturday morning edition, located in the economic hub of southwest Kansas. The Telegram is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send résumé, cover letter and work samples to: Brett Riggs, managing editor, The Garden City Telegram, 310 N. Seventh St., Garden City, KS 67846 or e-mail riggs@gctelegram.com

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Re: Work in the ``Economic Hub of SW Kansas''

Good grief ... it's sad what's happening out there. Good paper, great management ... it's just in such an isolated place. that's the only reason this paper has so much turnover.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the only reason, but it is a big one.

I think the wheels are falling off the economic hub.

4. Re: Work in the ``Economic Hub of SW Kansas''

I'll agree with this.

I'm the guy departing, and I'll say that Brett Riggs, the Managing Editor, is one of the nicest and fairest guys anyone could ever work for. Example: A few nights ago, last Friday night, he stuck around in sports to help type up the huge influx of regional track agate that rolled off the fax machines at about 10:30 p.m. I haven't been doing this long, but I'm guessing not too many MEs rent themselves out as an agate clerk.

In reality, this is a great place to cut your teeth if you're just breaking in like I was. The only drawback is location, location, location. The town has a very serious illegal immigration problem that causes a lot of friction around the community. You're a good 3-3 1/2 hour from the nearest significant population base in Wichita, and another five from Denver, six from KC and eight from Dallas. It's a lonely, lonely area if you're striking out from a major city.

But, if you're single or have a girlfriend/fiancee/wide (like I did) who is willing to put up with a year in exile, it's one of the better places around to get experience and solid clips. Part of me is happy I'm leaving for greener pastures, but I don't regret working here in the slightest.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Second that.

Second.

Second.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Economic hub of SW Kansas! Them's fightin' words to Liberal. Heck, Liberal's a two-newspaper town now!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hell, Liberal is a three-paper town. :D

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

After spending four years there - following 22 in Kansas City, Iola and Lawrence - I could not say one bad thing about Garden City or the Telegram beyond location. Well ... the smell of the feedlots sucks too.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

3 1/2 hours from Wichita? Damn. Sounds lonely indeed.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Opinions vary.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Second.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Next time some of you try the local fare, ask for the stuffed groundhog.

Only available at certain times of the year, but it is simply outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted