1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/GA Reporter, Mount Airy (N.C.) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Mount Airy News has an immediate opening for a sports writer/general assignment reporter. We are a community newspaper that puts a premium on local content. The successful candidate will split her (or his) time between prep sports and local news and feature work, with the majority of that time on sports. Experience preferred, but open to recent college grads as well. Photography experience a big plus. Please send a resume, three writing samples, three references and expected salary requirements to John Peters at jpeters@heartlandpublications.com. This is an immediate opening, so do not delay.

Preps are pretty decent here. Of course covering news is also involved. Beautiful area with decent cost of living, which is crucial since it's a Heartland paper and the pay will be meager. Winston-Salem is less than an hour away.

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

There's no sports editor...because the editor, who is also the regional editor, wants to be in control of the sports section and he also coaches a homeschool basketball team that manages to get great coverage. There was a high school volleyball team in Surry County that reached the state championship a few years back...the local girls won, but no one staffed the game. To make matters worse, the paper got the score and the opponent wrong.

There's Heartland and then there's the Mount Airy News....great people in the building...lousy leadership...but it's the hub.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Heartland -- like Paxton, only less competent ...

4. Tarheel316

I have to agree.

5. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I recently talked to someone from the NC Press Association that goes around to papers across the state to offer free training. He said that Heartland papers won't let him come...because "our papers are already the best in the state"

6. Tarheel316

Interesting. I don't remember hearing any of their names called during the NCPA awards ceremony earlier this year.

7. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

One of my "favorite" Heartland stories. The company's COO is a huge Alabama fan. So much so that every office that he has in the company MUST have crimson carpet and be decked out with 'Bama gear. No telling how much the company spent on redecorating. At the same time that it was announced that hourly employees would be cut back to 37.5 hour weeks, one of his offices was being redone in crimson and cream...employees were less than pleased.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Is that Jock Lauterer you are speaking of?

9. Tarheel316

It's got to be Jock.

10. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I think that's who it was. Very cool guy.

11. Tarheel316

Without question. A real asset to the business, too.

12. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

You both seem to have a handle on this one. Any other insights to share as to what the paper is like or the job itself?

Draft saved Draft deleted