1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The New-Sentinel in Fort Wayne, Ind., is seeking a sports reporter who can help us accelerate our digital growth initiative. We want a candidate with strong print and multimedia skills to join an already strong local coverage team. The successful applicant will write stories and gather information for our website, www.news-sentinel.com as well as the newspaper. Candidates must be able to provide accurate and skillful journalism through daily and enterprise assignments for online and print platforms. This position will focus on coverage of Fort Wayne and NE Indiana Sports. This person must be not only proficient but also thoughtful in developing and managing content across our online, mobile and print publication platforms. This person also must understand the unique strengths and user expectations of digital publications. Send resumes and at least five writing samples and five multimedia samples (photos, slideshows, videos, audio, etc.) to khubartt@news-sentinel.com or by regular mail to Natalia Bethea, The News-Sentinel, P.O. Box 102, Fort Wayne, IN 46801.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Fort Fun!

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good people in that department. The ad is a little vague, but if they're looking for a younger reporter, this is one of the best places you could land. Two veterans on that staff that have 50-plus years of experience between them and are about as good at writing/reporting as you'll ever find at a paper this size. Hell, at a paper of any size.

4. Just some inside on this position and a long, short story. The guy this hire would be replacing is Chad Ryan, who was one of the most talented sports photographers I have ever worked with. Anyway, because of the usual circumstances at newspapers, our photo staff was redirected into departments, and Chad moved to sports. Basically, he still shot games, but learned to write the game stories and features as well. As far as I know, this position requires you to write and shoot games. Jack of all trades, sort of thing that is common at smaller papers. Where Chad excelled, other than his stunning photography, was what he taught himself in video production.

Recently, our newspaper has gone through a transition of sorts, to a digital-first way of thinking. Its one of the only ways we can compete in a two-newspaper town, where we are the PM. Resources (equiptment) are being provided for us to make this transition, and it has proven to be an exciting one. We are going through an in-house redesign of our website to allow us to showcase some of our digital work more effectively than we can on our current site.

The person who takes on this position will be expected to think outside of the traditional ways to cover games. We are toying with a 'game of the week' concept where we send two staffers to cover a game, and out of that coverage comes twitter updates, regular game coverage, photos, possible videos that range from nice polished productions to the down and dirty post-game interviews. In short, we really are trying to change the way newspapers work. As I have said to others in the newsroom, there is no reason we can't do what radio and TV do. Even though we are entrenched in changing the way we do things, we really are only at the beginning.

I have been here for 13 years, and have decided to stay for many reasons. As has been said in previous posts, this small paper has some very dynamic people on its staff. Good people who always want to work hard and learn. So far, our web numbers are way up so what we are doing is showing results.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about this, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer as honestly as possible.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

IIRC, this is the Ogden paper in the JOA.

Draft saved Draft deleted