1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fort Collins, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gesundheit, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Knew a guy who applied at this place a couple years back. They called him, asked him to come in for an interview, he shows up, the editor who called him in for an interview said he never asked him to come in and he wasn't getting the interview and basically told him to leave.

2. outdoors

outdoors Member

Similar situation happened to me roughly a year ago. Sean Duff and I began the interview, and as it carried on, he began talking about things I never did before... Turns out he had someone else's resume in his hand and that's who he thought I was who he called in for the interview. Duff is an odd duck for sure...

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Doesn't a universal desk mean desk work across all universes of the newspaper?
    Does that mean doing desk work at this shop could have you laying out Page 1, or the fashion section, or the editorial page, etc.?

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Sean Duff = run far, far away.

6. Sean Duff has misrepresented the positions being offered to candidates before, i.e. told them they were being hired for a writing job and almost immediately moving them to the desk upon their arrival. Be very, very careful.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Another poster, who wishes to stay anonymous, said characterizations of Sean Duff are correct. But also noted that Kelly Lyell is a good guy over there.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Offered to in-house candidate, uncertain if he/she has accepted yet.

9. Has there ever been a thread on here where an editor or another employee was specifically cited as a reason to stay away from a job come on here to defend themselves? I've seen some people set the record straight on quick turnaround or general problems at specific place, but never specific complaint like the one against this Fort Collins editor or that guy in Fitchburg, Mass.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He has accepted, has been doing the beat since the start of the season and it was actually the plan all along to give him the job, but the sports editor decided to post the position anyway. They also promoted a part-timer to a full-time copy editor position as a result, I believe.

The guy who got the job was actually a sports reporter there about 10 years ago and recently returned to the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted