1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fort Collins, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gesundheit, Jan 30, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They also cover Colorado College hockey. They may even travel (or they may have just sent their CC writer to Boston to do some World Series stuff, and she stuck around for a weekend series).

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They do not cover Colorado College hockey. Colorado College is two hours away in Colorado Springs. There's a minor league (CHL) hockey team, the Eagles, that play in nearby Loveland and have sold out every home game they've played. Pretty sure they don't travel with them unless it's late in the playoffs.

Also, here's a story with some more stuff regarding Gannett and the CSU paper.

http://westword.com/2008-01-31/news/college-try/full

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Got Fort Collins and Colorado Springs confused. OOPS.

4. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Whats so bad about Gannett? I've never really had any dealing with other chains outside of my own company, which has its fair share of issues. PM me if you don't want to say it publicly on the boards. Thanks.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The Coloradoan is just poorly edited and seems to have placed style over substance. Very little true investigative and enterprise work goes on there and it's a paragon of Gannett's "Real Life Real News" bullshit.

Furthermore, they'll do anything to save a buck. True story. The CSU men's basketball beat writer (a workhorse whose name sadly escapes me now) was held off the road a couple seasons ago. True, the Rams were not a top-25 team or anything but it's pretty damned sad when the beat writer at the hometown paper can't even go to road games within the conference.

Another writer on the MWC beat referred to the Coloradoan as a "newspaper gulag." Potential applicants, your eyes are open.

6. 1. Gannett.

2. What everybody duck said.

3. You'd have to work for Sean Duff.

If you do apply and accept this job, my advice would be to get the job description in writing. There have been multiple people brought in there over the years whose actual duties didn't at all resemble what was described in the interview.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Kelly Lyell was the name. And he files a lot of copy.

The problem with this paper is that it thinks it is a much bigger paper than it is. It's pretty small in circulation (and getting smaller) and they won't take people without a lot of experience.

The person who left was the ASE, so perhaps they are promoting from within.

Also, the SE has a strange (read: obsessive) infatuation with women's basketball.

8. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

I know it's been a while, but I'm kind of curious: what ever happened with this? Does the person who ultimately got it hate it as much as the board makes it sound like they should?

9. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

I heard they haven't filled it and don't plan to. Still want to work there?

10. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

From reading two pages of "Don't do it", it doesn't sound like that'd be a good idea. :)

11. TheS

TheS Member

Along with this opening, the paper simultaneiously had an opening on the news side, and the bean counters decided they could fill those 80 hours with 60. As a result, sports only was able to hire a 20-per hour part timer, who is taking most of those hours on the desk rather than reporting.

12. Such a shame that a great college town like Fort Collins has only this rag. It's got to be one of the most disappointing newspapers for the size of the city it serves in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted