1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer fired for fabrication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know a paper which fired a guy for that. He made up the quotes and took the mugs from here:

http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/roomba_maker_unveils_military

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think that likely depends on the state. Without giving away too much, I can say that what you're claiming isn't true.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The community college rag I wrote for back in my early college days used to have this made-up character who was put in for comic relief. She would always give these really absurd answers to the poll question of the week.

The sad thing is, our advisor would look forward to reading it.

Now you know why it's a community college rag.

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

at weekly I worked t a few years ago, some dumbass was fired for using celebrity head shots for the Street Beat question. The question was something like, "what will you do with your tax return?" and the douche put pictures of Jennifer Lopez, Nellie Furtado etc... answering qustions like, "I will pay off my credit card, or go out to dinner ..."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now that's funny. Wrong journalistically, but one of those things that seemed like a great idea at the time, I'm sure.

6. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

we all had a laugh about it because it didn't make it to print, I was disappointed i couldn't bust the guy's balls before he was shown the door ...

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yep. Just do your fuckin' job. In the end, nobody gets hurt.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not in texas.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Don't forget the infographic.

An aside: If you don't lie, that's one less story you have to keep straight.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

fabrication is not plagiarism.
    two different things.
    i'm sure you can parse the distinction...

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in journalistic terms, one is comparable to rape, the other to murder.

Draft saved Draft deleted