1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer fired for fabrication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

as long as you don't dateline it or otherwise make it seem like you were there, there's nothing wrong with using a quote from a presser you didn't attend, if you have audio / video / or a transcript on an official team or league site.

just attribute it properly -- "Palmer told reporters covering the Orioles in Baltimore yesterday."

this other stuff ... just pitiful

it's so easy to catch people too these days. can't imagine how anybody expects to get away with this crap

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I met Ms. Parker on a few occasions during her gig prior to getting hired in Staunton. I'm no FBI profiler, but I never got any indication she would resort to such tactics. From what I saw, people in the community thought highly of her.

It's unfortunate things ended up this way.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sound advice. Do your own fuckin' work.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's so easy in the Internet age to root out fabulism. Stoopid.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

And at the bottom in the comments, you can see how this affects every journalist.
    Dang. Stupid.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Blair Bitch Hunt

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

On umemployment you have to read the law. Unless she was stealing company money or showed up late and tardy all the team she can collect unemploiyment.

If you are fired for not doing your job, that is not grounds to deny unemployment. She plagiarized. That is not doing her job, but it isn't illegal (criminally). It's unethical and against journalistic code, but if I wanted to plagiarize I could do and theoretically the only problems I would have would be from other papers who are suing for copyright infringement.

You can't deny unemployment for that.

If I showed up as a carpenter and I was totally incompetent and ruined buildiong a house and was fired for incomepetence, I can still collect.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Think this is hard? You know what it was like to be a teacher after this week's totally overblown AP series about teachers molesting kids?

Molesting kids is a terrible thing. So is painting tens of thosusands of good people with the same brush.

(Sorry, a vent).

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Note to newsrooms: steer clear of hiring anybody with the name Blair (surname or first)

Aside from the kidding, I know of a situation here in Halifax where a writer for one of the rural bureaus was caught for fabricating a story. Rather than get fired, he had to go to the journalism college and take ethics in journalism course for four months. He was not able to work at the desk until he successfully completed the course.

He ended up sitting next to me in class, and the worst part, I was best friends with his daughter. Awkward to say the least.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At some point a newspaper will bring charges of fraud or larceny by conversion against a writer proven to have plagiarized or fabricated.

If a newspaper's lawyers couldn't present a pretty solid argument that reporters work under an implied (or explicit) covenant that their submitted work will be, to the best of their knowledge, original and accurate, the newspaper needs to get a new legal firm.

11. So they catch people stupid enough to copy and paste. How many people who write fake stories or people with the ability to paraphrase and re-write stuff are out there getting away with it?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

God, do you really need to plagarize an outdoors story? It's the easiest fucking beat in the world. There's no real news to break and it's nothing but a bunch of feature stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted