1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Emporia, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Emporia Gazette, a family owned 8,000-circulation evening newspaper in the scenic Flint Hills of Kansas, seeks a sports reporter who is driven to dig up sports news and get it published as quickly as possible.

Our community is home to Emporia State University, whose women’s basketball team just won the NCAA Division II National Championship. In addition, its baseball and softball teams have played in national championship tournaments. The university also has played host to the NCAA Division II national outdoor track and field championships. We also heavily cover the football, men's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer and tennis programs.

At the secondary level, Emporia High School is a Class 5A school with football, volleyball, cross country, track and field, boys and girls basketball, soccer, golf and wrestling programs. In Lyon and surrounding counties, we cover sports at eight smaller high schools.

We are looking for a sports reporter who cares about community journalism. Reporting and writing skills must be demonstrated. Ability to lay out pages for pagination in InDesign is a plus as is experience with the NewsEdit Pro system. While experience is preferred, we would consider recent college graduates who possess the essential skills.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume, work samples and three references to Gwendolynne Larson, executive editor, The Emporia Gazette, 517 Merchant St., Emporia, KS 66801. E-mail applications may be sent to larson@emporiagazette.com.

2. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket New Member

I'll bite ... what's the pay range?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If I made less, this would be an interesting job, as my wife has family there.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

As a native of Kansas, I can say there are many, many worse places in the state than Emporia. If it's still owned by William Allen White's family, well, that's pretty cool.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

That may be true, but none of those places are big enough to have daily newspapers.

That's not a knock on the Gazette at all. I'm just saying don't apply for this job thinking you're getting anything other than a standard mid-sized Kansas town, only with a meat-packing plant.

6. dm19

dm19 Member

Emporia State is in one fo the best D-II conferences in the land too. You get quite a few pros coming out of there.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not bad for the location. You're in the center of a triangle with Topeka, Wichita and Kansas City, which isn't too shabby. It's not a bad community, either. I happen to be going through there next week on my spring trip on the way to KC (and some Arthur Bryant's... lol). You could do a lot worse.

8. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Not entirely true. There are lots of smaller towns in Kansas with daily papers. It's not uncommon to find dailies (or at least five-day-a-week papers) in Kansas with circulations under 5,000.

And as dm19 said, the MIAA is a damn solid D-II conference, especially for football.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was thinking that would be a mighty flat triangle ... but I looked on a map and you're right. It's almost exactly halfway between KC and Wichita, and it's also about the same distance to both Lawrence and Manhattan.

10. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Has anybody actually heard back from them?

11. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

I received an email from Gwen saying that they were behind looking at applicants because of Emporia State's national title run.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

thanks for the update Riding

Draft saved Draft deleted