1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Emporia, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 11, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sounds as if the six degrees of separation rule applies to Emporia, Kansas.

to paraphrase the Kinks:

Em-por-i-a
    Em-por-i-a
    Emporia,
    Poria

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Mmmm, Bourbon ... ;D

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'd love to hear how you got from Dodge City to Ft. Scott despite a broken-down car. And I pity you for being stuck in either place while your car was busted. Dodge City permanently smells like cow shit, and I'm sure Ft. Scott does during fair week.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It took the Dodge City Ford 4 days to fix my car; something with the sullenoid (sp.). I couldn't get the fuck out of Dodge!

I toured that city by foot. Checked out the Carnegie Libary, and if it's not called that, the Carnegie money from Pittsburgh helped build it. Since Dodge is closer to Manhattan, every bar or restaurant is tinted purple for the KSU Wildcats. I hung out for many hours at Mom & Pop's pool hall, secretly recording conversations with locals at the bar. I wish I had those tapes.

Anyhoo, I get the car back 4 days later and scram. ... ... ... Three hours later the car breaks down in this tiny town called Eden; so, I get the fuck out of Dodge and arrive in the garden of Eden. By now I wanted to gauge out eyeballs and skull fuck somebody. The only thing that calmed me down was a very nice family that let me use their phone to have the car towed to the Ford dealership in Fort Scott. After I made the call, the family invited me to stay for dinner: barbecue chicken and fixins'. Great folks.

Turns out that the Dodge City Ford mechanics didn't properly fix the sullenoid and belt pulley system, but the Fort Scott dealership didn't have the right parts. It would take a few days. So I shacked up at another local motel, walking around town on foot. I spent  6 hours at the Bourbon County Fair one day. I petted a prize-winning goat, who proceeded to take a shit at my feet. Later in the day I flirted with a girl who worked the counter at Taco Bell and got her to come to my room for a while. Fort Scott girls are fun and loving.

Wait, isn't this thread about Emporia?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

How does one sit under urinals?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Carefully. And wearing a hat with a very wide brim.

Nothing more to add about Emporia, Kansas, however.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Speaking of random, and I'm not making this up, I swear -- but I was BORN in Emporia.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Isn't the strip club a part of the hotel just off the highway?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Now it seems they just posted their SE position on jjobs. Wonder what's going on there ...

10. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

Is Stuart Goldman still there? Is that his name?

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Why am I laughing at this?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. I never would have guessed you downing drinks and playing pool at Bruff's. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted