1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Editor- Kauai, HI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1535033

Company: The Garden Island
    Position:
    Sports writer/editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    November 15, 2013
    Job ID: 1535033

Description:

The Garden Island, Kauai's 102-year-old newspaper, is seeking a sports writer/editor. Page design and pagination are part of the job. Photo skills are a plus. High school sports are king on Kauai (four schools). Also big are ocean sports such as surfing and outrigger canoe racing, as well as youth sports. Away from the office, Kauai is one of the most beautiful islands in the world, with activities from ocean beaches to mountain trails, as well as a lively arts and culture scene. The community genuinely cares about its newspaper. This is a great opportunity to do good sports journalism while enjoying the best of paradise. Applicants should send resume and clips to TGI editor Bill Buley at bbuley@thegardenisland.com.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts on this one:

1. Kauai is really isolated, even by Hawaii standards. Take a look at a map — and at the price of air travel to other Hawaii cities — before applying.

2. Without totally outing myself, I can say the editor is good people. He knows and appreciates sports and is an experienced (though demanding) mentor for young journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted