1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Dubuque, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 3, 2007.

1. yanks

yanks New Member

Any news to report on this opening?

2. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

I got a card from them (like a greeting card) thanking me and saying they're reviewing resumes and qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. Do I know what that means as far as hiring is concerned? No, but it sure was nice to receive something ... lets me know that they know I exist, unlike other places I apply to that don't return calls or e-mails.

This is the second WCI place I've applied to, and both experiences have be great thus far. Even if I don't get either gig, it's refreshing to know that some places, like Woodward Communications, actually gives a hoot about its potential employees.

3. We're starting interviews this week.
    I'm not the SE, so if you haven't been contacted, I don't know what that means. I just know we're bringing in a couple candidates this week. I'm not sure how many we'll bring in total.

And Rhouston, if you ever do get a chance to work for WCI, I recommend it. I hate sounding like a company stooge/yes-man, but it really is a very, very solid company, especially considering what I know and hear about other companies in the newspaper biz.

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

Good luck RHouston, at least you got something. I never even got an e-mail that said they received my stuff after it was e-mailed to them. It does seem like a good group of guys, especially Erin.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

WI, I'm bumping this up since I read the T-H to read the Hempstead-West Waterloo game online today.

Have you guys found the candidate for the position? :D

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I lived in I.C., a roommate called Dubuque "Doo-B-Q" and we'd always laugh about it.

7. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

They made a hire. I interviewed here last week, and they gave it to someone from one of their sister papers. Can't win them all (feel free to throw in the obligatory "YOU'RE HIRED!").

Still, Jim, Clete, Troy and Erin sold me well on this paper and the company. Anyone who gets a job here is lucky to have it.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

Shouldn't they let people know when somebody within the company applies? That would cut down the stack of resumes any boss would have to read. I bet it's 95 percent sure that the inside guy gets the job

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I didn't think WCI had a lot of sister papers... Regardless, congrats to whoever got it.

10. Actually, Michael Schmidt is not from one of our sister papers (of which, steveu is right, there are very few - and all are weeklies). He's been writing for the Des Moines, Waterloo and Omaha papers.

Thanks for interviewing, though, Ross, and it was nice to meet you. We had four solid finalists, and you were definitely right in the mix. (not just typical job-opening-speak)

Thanks to all who applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted