1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Dubuque, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

You will cover local and area sports events and trends. You will be responsible for day-to-day production of sports section through stories and layout according to newspaper policy, accuracy and journalistic ethics. Requirements include college degree or equivalent, one year of newspaper or related media/communications experience, basic understanding of sports and valid drivers license. Skills needed include page design, editing, headline writing, interviewing, creativity, and accuracy.

Full time benefits include competitive wage, employee stock ownership plan, 401k, vacation/holiday pay, insurance & continuing education assistance. Qualified candidates send resumes and salary history via one of the following:

E-mail: jobs@wcinet.com
    Fax: 563-588-5739
    Mail: Attn: Human Resources Manager
    Woodward Communications, Inc.
    801 Bluff, Dubuque, IA 52001.

The Telegraph Herald, a division of Woodward Communications, Inc., is an equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All your job duties are belong to us.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Good paper, solid staff.

Highly recommend the position to anyone applying.

4. Ah ... I was wondering if this would make it out here. I've watched the SportsJournalists.com Jobs page for so long, and now our little shop appears on it for the first time. I'm positively giddy.

General stuff:
    We have four full-time sportswriters under our sports editor, and everybody works a pretty even 50-50 split of writing/desk work. We cover about 30 HSs in the tri-state area (which are the focus of our coverage), four D-III colleges and Iowa and Wisconsin football and men's basketball home games.
    Beats are divided unusually when compared to most other papers; we assign by sport instead of level. So, instead of having two preps guys and two college guys, everybody literally does everything. Each writer has a couple prep sports beats, each takes one of the D-III schools, and each gets one of the four Big Ten beats.

Other than that, WCI's a solid company - particularly for our beloved profession. I've never been good at guessing numbers so please don't ask me what the pay would be, though I will offer that I'm sure it would be competitive and cost of living in the area is quite manageable.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask. I can answer in the thread, or if it will get me fired I'll PM you. ;)

(JB: Thanks much for the kind words.)

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Dubuque. No, I don't work there, but it is a great town and the paper is very nice for a town of 60,000. It was redesigned a few years back. That staff works hard.

Great place to summer vacation. :)

6. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

Four full-time writers and a 50-50 split between writing and desk work?
    My God, how much desk work do you folks have?

7. We usually have two guys on desk most nights to do 3-4 pages, but 99 percent of those shifts you're also working on about 18 stories on your beat, too.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

Any updates on this one? Have they interviewed yet?

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I talked to the SE maybe a week ago (week? 5 days? somewhere around there) and he said they were still in the very early stages of the process.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I can second JB and WI's thoughts as well on the Telegraph-Herald. Being a non-journo, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the T-H and their sports coverage in the Tri-State. Coming from Waterloo as a prep to play the Dubuque schools, the first thing I grab is the T-H to read their angle of the games.

11. Nothing to announce yet. Still working through the process.
    Which is OK. You know, this isn't a busy time for us in sports, is it? ;)

(And thanks, D3.)

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I just hope Senior can have a winning season again and beat Hempstead and those pesky Wahlert Golden Eagles.

Draft saved Draft deleted