1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Dodge City, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 8, 2007.

1. quietman

quietman New Member

[/quote} well god, given your long history of posting on this site, i believe every thing you "say." thanks for clearing that up.
    [/quote]

If I had known my credibility would be judged solely by my history of posting on this site, I wouldn't have bothered. I thought I had something worthwhile to add to this thread, and I thought the other side of the story deserved to be aired. If you find what I have to say credible, I'm pleased; if not, that's OK too.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Quietman, please add whatever you consider to be worthwhile. yes, people will make different judgments about your credibility. So what? Post away, we welcome your contributions.

3. I don't care how "voluntary" his help on news side was, or how much layout he had to do, or what his schedule was. I keep coming back to no raise in six years, yet he's leaving on his own terms and wasn't pushed out. Does not sound like a garden spot. (Or Garden City. Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Many, if not most, small dailies do not give raises. And not only JRC papers, either.

They do not expect that staffers will stay for years and years. The whole idea of working at a tiny daily is to get into the business, build your clip file, learn organizational and multi-beat management skills, then get a better job.

Stay a year or so, not much less, but not much more. Then move on.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So dudeman did all kinds of extra work voluntarily, and didn't get a raise for six years and got hassled for overtime?

Yeah, I'd steer clear of this one.

6. I agree with Zeke, 6 years is a long time to go without a sweetener. When I started at a 7K out of college, I got a raise after three months (when another paper wanted to hire me away, and I let my paper match the offer), then after 1 year anniversary. I stayed two years total. But annual bumps were SOP, as evidenced by longer tenured people than me. This wasn't a spendthrift operation, either, by any stretch.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Worked at a 9,000 circ. paper for four years. Got the customary 3 percent raise each year.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

So explain the other side of the "no raise in six years" claim, which you conveniently didn't address. You admit he worked his ass off, he has a kid, and you don't give him a raise in six years?

And the voluntary part just grinds my gears. Summer workouts in college football are voluntary, too. To the tune of, if you don't volunteer to do this, you'll be on my shit list for a long time. And things suck here anyway.

Yeah, I bet he was begging for more work, and you would've loved him just the same if he didn't do it.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Shaggy, if I had a connection, I'd hook you up with a bag for that needed-to-be-said post.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

make it two bags.

Draft saved Draft deleted