1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Dodge City, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 8, 2007.

1. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Oh, one other thing. Circulation is down to more like 6,000. It was around 9,000 when I came here in 1999.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

looking better by the second.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I really love the honesty. I also feel a little better (but not much) about my job.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

kamikaze021 - I am happy you are getting out, it sounds like a miserable job.

5. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

Surprise surprise, that paper is owned by Morris Communications.

On another note, best of luck kamikaze. I'm glad you are getting out of a bad situation, and I hope everything works out for you.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So is it fair to say, Kamikaze, that you got the hell out of Dodge?

Sorry, too easy to resist. ;D

7. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

I'm really going to miss the town and covering the Demons and Conqs, and the area teams; but I'm not going to miss the stress.

8. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

author=Charlie Hustle link=topic=42711.msg1233179#msg1233179 date=1181622802]
    Thanks

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Kamikaze, what an awful situation. Congrats for finally getting out. Sad thing is somebody else will go through the same thing because there's always somebody needing a job.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

That was the most depressing post I have ever read. No offense.

11. Rick Druse

Rick Druse New Member

My name is Rick Druse, and I am the managing editor at the Dodge City Daily Globe. I want to respond to comments made by Kamikaze021.
    I will admit this job is work, and there is plenty to keep a sports editor busy. We offer the typical high school and junior college sports. We also have a world-class PRCA rodeo in the summer (five nights of rodeo action), a 3/8-mile dirt racetrack (we just had the World of Outlaws, and the race was replayed on ESPN2), a USBL basketball team, a summer baseball program for college athletes and a motocross track. Since we are a small staff, the sports employees are responsible for the sports page layout. (I’m not even immune to page layout, as I design on Monday nights). So needless to say, a sports editor has a lot on his or her plate, and it takes an organized person to do the job. It is a good place to gain experience and build a clip file in a variety of sports. I am also one step away from filling the part-time sports position.
    There are several issues that Kamikaze021 failed to mention in his tirade, but I can’t go into a lot of detail. He did help us on the news side because I was short on staff at one time. I now have a full news staff that will allow the new sports editor to focus on sports. Most of the time when Kamikaze021 helped on the news side, it was voluntary on his part. I did ask him to write some stories for our Progress editions, but those stories were sports-related. All of the entertainment stories he wrote were stories that he wanted to do. He came to me with the ideas, and I let him do them.
    Please do not take his remarks as gospel. There are always two sides to every story.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

You tell em Rick.

Draft saved Draft deleted