1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Devils Lake [ND]

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, May 28, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Company: Daily Newspaper
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    July 2, 2008
    Job ID: 571106

Description:
    Help Wanted: Sports reporter. Immediate opening. Duties include features, pre-game stories and game coverage. The right candidate will have excellent interviewing skills and the desire to aggressively cover the local teams. Good paginations skills a must. Beautiful community on lake, a hunting and fishing paradise! 5 day daily, but does require night and weekend work. Excellent benefit package available. Please apply online through JournalismJobs.com and include salary requirements.

Sounds like a great place to live, eh?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, over/under on when it strictly becomes Lake, N.D.?

3. tflagstad

tflagstad New Member

Not too long ago, the high school teams there were called the Devils Lake Satans, which was great.

That changed to the Firebirds in the early part of the decade.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

They should have changed their nickname to the "Fighting Messiahs..."

If you're going to change it, change it...

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's great, ha! God forbid if there were any religious families in the area who sent their children to that school during that period of time when their mascot was the Satans.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

drought city in pretty much all of ND except around Fargo. I'm taking the grand tour of the state along I-94. when I move my family to my current gig in the Midwest.

7. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

Sooner than you think.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7843589/

For those who don't know North Dakota, Devils Lake is kind of out there. It's been awhile, but I remember it being about two and a half three hours from Fargo, and an hour, hour and a half from Grand Forks. Absolutely nothing up that way.

Weather is beyond brutal and you will not get used to it, no matter what anyone tells you. 50 below in the winter and 105 in the summer. No spring. No fall.

I don't know anything about the paper but I'm guessing pay is lousy/entry-level, which is a shame, cause this is not the kind of place anyone young is gonna want to be. Wouldn't be a bad place to raise a family though. I would apply myself but I can't imagine they pay enough and God forbid you got laid off. ... You couldn't be further away from it all if you were on the moon. North Dakota is definitely an acquired taste but it has a certain charm.

8. umiami06

umiami06 Member

OK, this is a bit of an exaggeration.

It rarely gets over 100 in North Dakota. The summer is pretty much the same as other Midwestern cities. And there is such thing as fall and spring. It doesn't go from snow to 80s and 90s in one day. It's 70 today. There are long streaks of below-zero weather in the winter.

There's not a ton to do in the area, but if you like outdoors, you will love it. Very doubtful they will be laying anyone off, but the pay probably does suck.

It's definitely a foot-in-the-door job -- not a place to stay for too long.

9. tflagstad

tflagstad New Member

You do get used to the cold. Really. Once you move, 20-degree weather feels like a heat wave.

10. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

I will concede that it's a "bit of an exaggeration," but not much of one.

Maybe global warming has changed things since I lived in ND in the mid 90s but I remember getting several inches of snow in Fargo in May and the year before I started college they had a blizzard before Halloween that people were talking about 10 years later. North and South Dakota and western Minnesota are the only places I've ever been where the hair in your nose freezes the second you step outside.

Summers were really bad too. Last year they were up around 100 for at least a week in July out by Valley. And it's not a dry heat.

I loved it there though and I'm not even big on outdoors stuff. If I didn't think I was already making twice as much as the highest paid person at the paper I would apply in a heartbeat. Nice place to raise a family, almost everyone is obnoxiously friendly and a very laidback way of life. It's pretty up by Devil's Lake too.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Things to see: The giant buffalo in Jamestown. The giant cow in New Salem. The Prairie Penis (ND state capital building, 18 stories tall or something). The Badlands (north unit of TR national park is better, I think, but south unit/Medora very convenient to I-94). Fort Abraham Lincoln south of Mandan, GA Custer's last command.

Lots of awesome sunflower fields east of Jamestown, lots of neat geography in the ranching country west of Bismarck.

And yes, it does get above 100 fairly often in the summer, it does get very cold in the winter, and in either climate Devils Lake is in the middle of BFE. (and since it's not that far from Rugby, the geographical center of North America, it really is smack in the middle of BFE).

12. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

Don't forget the world's largest turtle made entirely from tire rims in Dunseith.

Draft saved Draft deleted