1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/desk editor, The Hawk Eye, Burlington, IA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JBHawkEye, Aug 28, 2014.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The Hawk Eye, Iowa’s oldest newspaper, is looking for a sports writer/desk editor for its four-person staff.
    The position includes coverage of Southeastern Community College men’s and women’s basketball, and spring and summer high school coverage (Iowa has summer baseball and softball). The new hire will also be considered for our University of Iowa football beat.
    The position also includes page layout 1-2 times a week, with more possible. Knowledge of InCopy and InDesign is required.
    Applicants must have:
    • The ability to work nights and weekends
    • A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or applicable field
    • The ability to write well-crafted stories, edit copy and provide innovative page design.
    • Knowledge of AP style
    • Proficiency in social media — Facebook and Twitter
    • The ability to work effectively in a team environment
    • A valid driver’s license
    We are a 7-day, 17,000-circulation AM newspaper in Burlington, located in southeast Iowa. We offer a full benefits package, including health and dental insurance, life insurance, and 401(k).
    Please send a resume and 5 clips of your best writing and page design to sports editor John Bohnenkamp at jbohnenkamp@thehawkeye.com. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.

If you have any questions, email me or send me a DM here. It's going to be a busy weekend, so I'll try to get to your questions as soon as I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted