1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer opening in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

obviously, kids with college degrees don't deserve any better by today's standards.

2. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

We all deserve more money. Everyone in this business is overworked and underpaid. You know it. I know it. If I were allowed, I'd love to say the salary as more. But it's out of my hands. Is $25k a year fair in a place like Northern Virginia or NYC? No. But the cost of living is extremely low in Danville (you can get a two-bedroom apartment for around $400). So by comparison, it evens out. And for some young journalist, this job is a great opportunity to learn how to handle a beat and do some good stuff or become a good designer.

It's all a personal choice. And believe me, I can understand anyone who wants to make more money. But considering you'll probably only be in Danville for about two years max (we're a launching pad, not a destination paper), then it's a minor issue if you are looking to be somewhere where there are plenty of opportunities to grow as a journalist.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not busting on you drew. you're not the guy who sets wages ... we all know that. i do tire of folks saying they aren't worth more, though.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Drew, you state it well but the money is still low.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Drew is spot-on.
    Get in, get it done, get out.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Drew, how much longer do we have to get stuff to you? The holidays and some family stuff have prevented me from sending things in.

7. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Realistically, I don't foresee us hiring before the end of the year. It's just too complicated with the holidays. I would, however, like to have a few phone interviews done by then to start narrowing the pile. So if you get me something within the next two weeks, it won't be an issue.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, man.

9. miggyrod

miggyrod New Member

Is this job still open? I see it on journalismjobs.com

10. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Yes, it is still open. I will be narrowing the pile down in the next week. I re-posted it on journalismjobs.com in January because the original posting in between the holidays was a bad time to post with people being busy and traveling. And my busy December schedule didn't really allow me to get any closer to hiring someone, so I figured it was worth putting it back out in the listings to bring in a few more resumes from people who may not have had time to apply at the time.

All resumes received either the first time or this time are being considered, so don't read into it that the first batch wasn't good enough. I have some solid applicants from both batches.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask on here or PM me.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

drew - can i e-mail my clips to you?

12. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.