1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer in Farmington, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

From jj.com

The ad on the JJ.com site goes into greater detail on the community and the happenings in and around Farmington. You can read the entire thing here:
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1311972

I merely cut and pasted the main points about the job.

Company: The Daily Times
    Position: Sportswriter/designer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    February 15, 2012
    Job ID: 1311972

Description:

Grow West!

The Daily Times, the largest media entity in the Four Corners region serving readers in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and the Navajo Nation, has an opening for a sports writer/designer after in-house promotions. Our sports staff has an excellent track record for advancement, both to other newspapers as well as to news-side management.

Duties and needs include excellent sports writing ability, page design, meeting deadlines, nightly online responsibilities in coordination with our online editor, pagination on QuarkExpress, good copy editing skills and excellent news judgment. Everyone is growing a digital strategy, so obviously you must fit into that here as well and be able to have fun with it.

The hire will be someone with a focus on ambitious goals grounded in both, excellent journalism and multimedia platforms for delivery of it.

We have a lot of great talent here, and we're looking to add to the team. Don't apply unless you have a passion for this kind of work, an understanding of the great Southwest and an excellent work ethic. If you like good journalism, the Southwest climate, diverse culture and the outdoors, you'll love this place. If you're looking for the nearest Macy's, keep looking.

Please send asap a cover letter (specific about your desire to join our news team and live in the Four Corners), resume and samples to: Troy Turner, editor, The Daily Times, P.O. Box 450, Farmington, N.M. 87499; or to tturner@daily-times.com.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Quite a few openings here lately, it seems. A friend of mine quit his position at this paper a few months ago, so PM me if you have any questions and I can probably find the answers pretty quickly.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's the editor. I wonder where he hangs the picture he's in with Hugo Chavez?

4. MMABuff

MMABuff New Member

I am the new sports editor here. probably better to PM me if you have any questions.

the sports reporting job here is amazing. since graduating from college in 2010 I have had the opportunity to cover state championship teams in fall, winter and spring seasons, and the summer never slows down here in sports with local golf tournaments and the Connie Mack World Series, one of the premiere amateur baseball tournaments in the country featuring several top NCAA and pro prospects.

If you like the outdoors, then Farmington offers great recreation. Most people who have filtered in and out of this newspaper have either left because they have moved on to bigger newspapers or because they never really wanted to be here in the first place.

The job is entirely what you make of it. If you want to do a great job and have fun, no editor is going to get in your way.

Draft saved Draft deleted