1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Denton, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 14, 2009.

1. Kurindal

Kurindal New Member

I wasn't knocking versatility. I should've clarified and asked which would be the primary duty, because a lot of people have replied, implying that design would be the primary duty.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

OK, I lied earlier. :D

I will tell you that this paper has a number of alums who have gone on to bigger and better things. Celeste Williams (on staff in the 70s) and Randy Galloway (a stringer in the early 60s) are a couple of famous ones from back in the day, and Big Dick Durrett and Timmy MacMahon (to the DMN) and Jeff Caplan (FWST) from the late 90s / early Aughts are more recent examples. It was (and is) a pretty damn good paper compared to its contemporaries, and I still think it's superior to some papers twice its size today.

But folks, the numbers don't lie. The paper has a circulation of 13,000 daily according to Mondo Times http://www.mondotimes.com/1/world/us/43/2376/5811 ... and has five — FIVE! — full-timers in the sports department. (They actually had six until a few months ago.) That sounds fabulous, and indeed it is. They cover their area very well and win awards regularly.

But in this environment, if you don't see the sword of Damocles hanging over this shop, you need to see an eye doctor. Do you really want to move here, only to be the first one cut when the bean counters down on Record Street who've already slashed the mothership to smithereens realize that the step-child of Belo is so well-staffed?

Caveat operor.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Foot, I think this would apply to any job with an opening these days.

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

Amen to that

5. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Another thing to consider, too, is just because Belo owns both, doesn't mean that what's going on in Dallas will have an impact on Denton. Each paper stands own its own in terms of revenue, budgets, expenses, etc. Just like there is no pipeline from Denton to Dallas for jobs, there is likely no pipeline when it comes to the business department, either.

6. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Is this one more of an entry level position?

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Pretty sure I know who this is leaving, and he's a good fella. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

I wouldn't mind living in Denton (again) now that I'm a few years older, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there and work for Belo.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

denton doesn't feel the same since the fry street area was obliterated.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's not totally gone. A few of the old places are still there. But everything east of Cool Beans and across the street from Lucky Lou's is a vacant lot now.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

I like Dan's Silver Leaf better than anything on/that was on Fry. I know what you mean, though. Hate seeing old stuff go.

11. thebigd

thebigd Member

what is so bad about belo?

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted