1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Denton, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

If your life is sports, and you have a degree in journalism, why not combine the two as a SPORTS WRITER for the Denton Record-Chronicle, a daily newspaper just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Denton is the home of the University of North Texas as well as three high schools. The best applicant will have a complete knowledge of all sports and sports terminology as well as full knowledge of AP style. Good spelling and grammar skills are a must. Join our team of award-winning sports writers and be one of the best. Send your resume and clips with a cover letter stating the position sought to cpuckett@dentonrc.com; fax the same to 940/566-6981;or mail them to: Carol Puckett, H. R. Manager, P. O. Box 369, Denton, TX 76202. eoe

2. Belo paper. I heard that this job will encompass the Denton Ryan beat, which would be fun, plus some page design.

Pay will suck. And no, working here will not give you a faster route to the DMN. Not that anyone would want to work there anyway.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, I heard it's gonna have some design responsibilities as well.

4. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Could have sworn I applied to the DRC months ago. Is this the same position or a new one?

5. txscoop

txscoop Member

More design than writing is what I hear.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not going to allow myself to be baited into touching this topic. :)

7. I'll make like the 1999 St. Louis Rams and pass away from this.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

I did apply a while back and had a phone interview. They supposedly made a hire, too. Anyone know anything more on this one?

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Long-time guy, been there almost four years is just getting out of the business. Aren't we all considering that at this point?

10. Kurindal

Kurindal New Member

So which is it? A writer or a design position?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd assume at this level of paper it is both.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly, few papers this size have the luxury of full-time designers. Even so, others would need to be able to fill in when the top designer is off.

Frankly, it's a good thing for several reasons:

(1) everyone learns to do everything, which only adds to your skill set and makes you more valuable, both now and in the future

(2) it makes it easier to schedule when one person is off, sick or on vacation; being able to swap schedules with someone else can be a big plus if you need a certain day off on short notice

(3) It keeps people from burning out, whether they do the desk all the time or only write all the time.

the pros of versatility far outweigh the cons.

Draft saved Draft deleted