1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Denton Record-Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 5, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so what's the use of working in denton if you can't get drunk at the dives on fry street anymore? bastard developers tore down many of my favorite drinking holes from my past. batsards, bastards, bastards!

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Not to mention whoever it was that burned down The Tomato.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I was 10, I got lost in the Golden Triangle mall for about an hour. I remember the Black Sabbath Mob Rules album covers scared the shit out of me.

Haven't back since '82, so I don't even know whether the mall still exists.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Oh yes, it still exists (unfortunately).

5. txsportsscribe

the tomato was one of the businesses slated for demolition so burning it down was kind of a tribute. cool beans, especially the potential danger of the rooftop, will be missed.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This thread is veering off the "job" path, but I have a smoke-filled, vague recollection of living on Fry St. in the late 60s-early 70s. Craaazzzzzy, radical times (a female grad assistant wound up on the FBI 10-most-wanted list.) Though not on Fry, there was a bar by campus called "The Final Exam" located in an old house with a smooth, wooden floor on which I'm told I fell asleep on numerous occasions. OK, sorry for the flashback. Carry on.

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Cool Beans is gone?? I didn't know that!

8. txsportsscribe

i'm pretty sure that whole little row of dives – the tomato, cool beans, chopsticks – have already been razed or are scheduled for demolition. someone with no heart is putting in a strip mall type development. fry street fair, what memories (or lack thereof).

and the job's been filled so threadjacking should be ok.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Cool Beans was way better than The Tomato. Mr. Chopsticks was tolerable, but 299 Oriental Express beside New York Sub and across from Chicken Express was THE place for Chinese food.

10. txsportsscribe

but mr. chopsticks was cheap and cheap means quality to a poor college student

Draft saved Draft deleted