1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Daily & Sunday Review (Towanda, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=964626

The Daily & Sunday Review, a small, progressive daily/Sunday newspaper in Towanda, Pa. seeks a sportswriter to help two-person sports desk cover high school sporting events and other competitions, to write features about athletes, and to assist with other production tasks, including page design and pagination. Position also offers the opportunity to cover local auto racing, including top-flight professional races at Watkins Glen International raceway.

Knowledge of sports and basic typing ability required. Reporting experience on a small daily or weekly paper preferred but not mandatory. We will train knowledgeable, enthusiastic person with good command of the English language. Ability to use digital photo equipment including video, familiarity with the web, and Adobe InCopy and InDesign software, are big pluses. Afternoon and evening shifts; some weekend work necessary.

Towanda is in the heart of the scenic Endless Mountains region which offers a wealth of outdoor recreational activities. Compensation package includes 401(k) plan.

E-mail cover letter explaining your interest in sports and your preparation for a career in journalism, a resume, no more than six writing samples, and the names and contact information for three professional references to Ronald W. Hosie, editor, The Daily & Sunday Review, at rhosie@timesshamrock.com.

Applications accepted only from Pennsylvania and adjacent states. No phone calls, please.

The Review is part of Times-Shamrock Communications.

2. Pascribe

Pascribe New Member

I worked in Towanda for more than a year. Here are my thoughts, in case anyone was interested.

Only apply if your a graduate who's willing to learn and have some thick skin.
    The town itself is pretty boring as is most of the areas nearby. However, within an hour and a half is Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Elmira, Binghamton and Ithica (if you drive fast). Now, knock those city's all you want, but they will provide your cultural relief. You'll have to cover several very small schools and probably do tons of agate. But it could be a good learning experience. To the north is The Valley, where three or four of the schools are. It's also where most of the nightlife is, if you can call it that. To the west is the Troy-Canton area. It's pretty much dead, but the people are nice.

Also, there was some talent there when I was at the paper. Most of it moved on, but there is a writer who turns in good features and the day editor was great to work with.

The Sports Editor there was a real hardworking guy who was once yelled at by Roger Clemens (no kidding).

Now, as for the thick skin part. One of the major people in the news room can be difficult to work with. And his expectations for the sports department are unrealistic becuase he doesn't understand the nature of the business. But it should be rare that you'd deal with this guy.

Oh, and they won't pay you too much.

But, for it's size it's a damn good paper.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your a lucky man to have worked for that Sports Editor.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I heard they made a hire. Don't know who, though.

5. Makes no sense that they would only have accepted applications from Pennsylvania and adjacent states.

Also, that's weird geographically. Technically, West Virginia is an adjacent state of Pennsylvania and Virginia is not, but there are parts of West Virginia that are further away than parts of Virginia.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Know two things about the paper. There is a Web site (I forget the URL, sorry) that devotes itself to monitoring things that the paper writes about. Also, I know that Ron Hosie is a good guy to work for.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sure someone from pennsylvania or an adjacent state will think so as well.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a way of saying that relocation will not be paid or be minimal at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted