1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer | Daily Mining Gazette (Houghton, MI)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The Daily Mining Gazette has an immediate opening for a full-time sports writer. The successful candidate will be the beat writer for the Michigan Tech Division-I hockey program in a region of Michigan's Upper Peninsula where hockey is the dominant sport, in addition to coverage of other Tech and prep sports. The MTU Huskies qualified for the NCAA Tournament last season and were knocked out in the regional to the eventual champion.

In addition to writing, this all-around journalist will be tasked with taking photos at non-Tech events, column writing, page design and pagination, proofreading and maintainng an active social media account to engage readers and promote coverage.

Compelling, colorful writing is required, as is the ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines and build the relationships necessary to develop the sources you will need to be successful.

The position is eligible for health insurance and 401(k) benefits.

Send resume and clips to Bryce Derouin, Sports Editor, Daily Mining Gazette, P.O. Box 368, Houghton, MI 49931. Packets can also be dropped off at 206 Shelden Avenue, Houghton, or emailed to bderouin@mininggazette.com.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Someone else on here can speak better than I about this newspaper and living in Houghton, but I'll say this: You'd better like snow.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This was my shop up until two years ago. The Copper Country is a unique place to live -- expect lots of snow from mid-November through mid-April (to be fair, they know how to move it), but the summers are fantastic and you'll meet a lot of good people and beautiful places. This will be a chance for someone to learn and apply a lot of skills and be very well read. The Michigan Tech hockey team is the kingpin beat in that community, a nationally relevant college program, a passionate fanbase and thanks to a recent coaching change, a chance to start fresh with a new guy. I chatted with Bryce about this position earlier this week and the person you'd be replacing is a local and just sliding over into a news position, so you'd have a lot of support out of the gate.

I can answer a fair amount of questions you might have on this via DM, though I don't want to step on my successor's toes.

Draft saved Draft deleted