1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Culpeper, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 18, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

This may be a repeat but apparently, the job hasn't been filled.
    The Culpeper Star-Exponent, a 7,400 daily about 70 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., needs a sports reporter who can balance writing, wire editing and design on a two-person staff.
    This is a great opportunity for a recent college grad or someone with a year or two of experience. We are a community paper whose focus is on high school and rec sports. We'll cover some U.Va. games if there's a local angle, but 99% of our coverage is hometown news.

If you like the mountains, they're only 30 minutes away. We also have some of the best restaurants known to man.

Design skills are required. Knowledge of Quark is a big plus, as are multimedia and photography skills. The typical shift is 3 to midnight.

The Star-Exponent is one of the nation's fastest-growing papers. We are owned by Media General, the Southeast's leading provider of news. Several opportunities for advancement exist within the company and at our sister papers.

Send resume & portfolio (include story clips and design samples) to Culpeper Star-Exponent, Managing Editor Rob Humphreys, 471 James Madison Highway, Culpeper, VA 22701.

E-mail: rhumphreys@starexponent.com

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

holy shit!!! again!!!!!

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some of the best restaurants known to man?

That Applebee's on the corner must do a hell of a business.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I hear Lake Ridge is the social mecca of Virginny North.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The first ad was for sports editor, I believe they have somebody lined up to come in for one of the two jobs. Culpeper does indeed have at least one great, local restaurant. I hear there are some other good ones I haven't had the pleasure of eating at.

6. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

I worked there about a decade ago. When the paper was asked to enter a float in the annual Fourth of July parade, we in the newsroom joked that a revolving door on a flatbed truck would suffice. It's a nice place to start in the business, build up some clips, etc.

Regarding the restaurants, Culpeper has turned into a genuine culinary Mecca in recent years. Good luck affording the more expensive places on a sports writer's salary.

Draft saved Draft deleted