1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/Crawfordsville, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Excellent work, bucky.

Sounds like a righteous dude (both of you).

2. It is also the home of Dick van Dyke and the Ultimate Warrior

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

After canning their entire sports department a few months ago...they realize they might, ya know...actually need a sports department come football time.

So, here is the new ad:
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1390497

Company: Journal Review
    Position:
    Sports Reporter/Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    September 3, 2012
    Job ID: 1390497

Description: The Journal Review, Crawfordsville, Ind., is looking for an energetic, organized and committed individual to fill a full-time sports reporter/editor’s position. The candidate will report on high school, collegiate and area team sports, and will lead a team of freelance sports writers. Candidates should possess the ability to tell stories online, through social media and with photography. Experience with InDesign a plus.

The Journal Review is Crawfordsville’s oldest daily newspaper, serving Montgomery and surrounding counties in West Central Indiana. Our award-winning newspaper is published six mornings a week (Monday through Saturday) at our downtown office.

Email cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Editor Tina McGrady at tmcgrady@jrpress.com.

I have nothing but good things to say about the editorial staff. Good people start at the top with Tina. She is good people and a great boss.

That said. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Management is awful and all they care about is the bottom line. Yeah, I know most papers are like that now, but they hack until it hurts. I believe the staff for a 6-day paper is 4 or 5 (including the ME), so if you try for this job, expect to get paid for 35 hours a week over the span of 6 days while trying to put out a 3-4 page section of mostly local copy. We I was there, it was a 2-man sports desk with 7 others in news, now it's half that.

I was ASE/news paginator there for about two years and have many things to say, mostly negative, about the area, the paper and the people that live in C'Ville. It's not a place you want to stay long in. Hell, I would bet whoever gets this job will have their position eliminated after basketball season, that's how slimey management is there.

More questions? PM me.

4. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Why was the entire staff canned?

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

6. spikechiquet

CC is correct.

The first beat to go was education, then it was just not replace whoever left after that. So it went from a staff of 9 when I started in mid-2008 to 8, 7, 6...you get the drift.
    They even got rid of the babies, weddings and social community calender compiler (who was a part-timer as it is).

Ad design got hacked down to 1.5 people after having 3 when I started.

Hell, there wasn't even a working light most of the time in the men's room. You had to leave the door open and hope there was enough light from the hallway to take a piss! Instead of fixing the light, the publisher suggested someone bring in a lamp to plug in!!!

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Whoa, no offense to anyone has experienced the hell here, but if you have more stories, please go on.

8. spikechiquet

I know if the sewer flooded it would smell like shit...especially after the weekend or a heavy rain. Sunday nights there were not fun.
    I remember the ceiling leaked into the newsroom and it cause occasional shower of sparks from one the lights in the corner as well.
    I'm sure if OSHA was called to check that building..it would be shutdown for numerous health violations.

Draft saved Draft deleted