1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/Crawfordsville, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Jun 27, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The Journal Review is seeking a beginning sportswriter immediately. We are looking for a solid writer who is confident enough with his computer skills to learn layout and editing skills. You will be covering local high schools in a wonderful community that puts a huge emphasis on those programs. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding. It's a great place to learn the job. If interested, send resume and clips to Jay Heater, Managing Editor, Journal Review, 119 N. Green St., Crawfordsville, IN., 47933; or email to jheater@jrpress.com.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Not the same paper I was looking at earlier, oops.

3. Nope.

They are between 8,000 and 18,000 daily circ. per HSPA awards from last year.

http://hspafoundation.org/SiteImages/FileGallery/868.pdf

There's an award-winning news story with Division 4 (8,000-18,000) stamped clearly above it.

4. 0-fer

0-fer Member

It's actually just shy of 8,000 now, going to be in Division 3 for this year's HSPA awards.
    There are eight high schools, and there is competition on three of them (county schools) as there is a (garbage) county paper. The JR is a six-day daily with no Sunday paper, morning delivery.
    I'm the one leaving.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Decent paper?

6. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Yeah, it's OK. I mean, there are far worse rags. They gave up a column on the front of A Section for ads, and they're shrinking the entire paper by a column starting next week.
    Sports has its own section — I know that should be a given, but in many places, especially in Indiana, it's not — and you usually have plenty of space.
    There are some, how shall we put this, discouraging elements to this job, but I won't go into detail in a forum.
    If you're fresh out of school, there are worse places to get your feet wet. There are also much better places.
    If you're seriously interested, PM for details.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

I'm not from the area, but if Jay Heater is the same Jay heater that I worked with in California then you will be in good hands. He is a former sports editor and a very good guy.

8. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Jay came to Crawfordsville from the Contra Costa Times, so I believe it is the same guy of which you speak.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Crawfordsville sounds uber-tiny. Anyone here shed some light into what life is like there?

10. There's plenty of corn. And Indy isn't too far off for a night of drinking.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's not a bad small Indiana town, plus it doesn't smell like Haute, so it has that going for it.

12. Panther11

Panther11 New Member

It's a small town, but in addition to being close to Indy, you're close to Lafayette...that's good for two things...one, you can drink in Lafayette, but you also have a chance at covering a little Purdue from time to time. Living in Indiana is tough (I came from the city, then moved there), and it was quite a culture shock for me. Now that I'm a little bit older, I can appreciate that it really was a decent area to live and work in.

Draft saved Draft deleted