1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Craig, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 12, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Craig Daily Press — an award winning daily in Northwest Colorado — seeks a sports reporter. Event coverage ranges from high school sports to rodeo, from hunting to outdoor events. And sometimes, it entails branching beyond the world of sports and into hard news or features. Desired person will be well organized, have great people skills, have solid news judgment, yearn to learn more about journalism and the Internet, and be versed in AP Style. Knowledge in photography is a plus, but we can teach you that. Minimum qualifications include a journalism degree and published clips. Send editor Jerry Raehal a cover letter, a resume, three references and three clips to jraehal@craigdailypress.com or mail them to: The Craig Daily Press, attention Jerry Raehal, 466 Yampa Ave. Craig, CO 81625.

2. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Anyone got any info on this job?

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Wasn't this just posted not too long ago?

4. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I thought this was posted not long ago, too. Here's what I can tell you, as this is where I broke in 16 years ago, out of college. That's what this position is -- good for someone right out of college. I was there six months and learned a ridiculous amount in that time. You'll cover high school sports almost entirely (one school -- Moffatt County), and in all likelihood, do it all: cover events, shoot photos, layout/pagination, etc. You also might find yourself doing junior high or little league-type stuff, covering a summer mud bog truck-type thing, rodeo/county fair, etc.

And as the ad said, you'll cover other nonsports junk, too. This is a smalltown operation. You might find yourself in the rotation for writing about things like the backyard of the week during the summer -- something I think I took to new heights (or more likely new depths).

And during the winter, you will freeze your (insert corresponding anatomical body parts here) off. Craig is about 40 minutes west of Steamboat Springs, but the difference is huge -- it sits in wide-open space and just gets blasted by ridiculously cold air at times. We're talking below-zero days, sometimes even before the wind chill is factored in. And it takes a good four hours to drive to Denver, if Rabbit Ears Pass isn't snowpacked.

But again, you'll get a lot of experience quickly. I'm sure some things have changed since I was there, but the bottom line is the town surely isn't much bigger, and what you'll cover surely couldn't have changed much either. If you're not getting a sniff from any larger operations and just need to get your foot in the door and get a little experience, this could work. Or if you just really want to slow down -- though the pay might not be enough for that.

5. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Awesome, thank you for the information.

6. outdoors

outdoors Member

Feel free to PM me for more details about the paper and the area. I also know a lot about the other paper in town.

7. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Hey, Outdoors,
    How does that place support two papers? Is the other one tied into the Steamboat paper? And when did the second paper come along? And did you do any time in Craig? When I was there, it was only a one-paper town. The then-Northwest Colorado Daily Press was published five days a week.

8. outdoors

outdoors Member

I know the Moffat County News has been gaining on the Daily Press over the past year or so. The previous sports editor at the County News established better contacts with the coaches and they began to get some better coverage because of it. I didn't work in Craig, but I was offered both positions about a year ago and really learned a lot about both papers. Both editors are great guys. Jerry came to Craig from Oregon and he is definitely good people. You really just have to be willing to live in a town that is very isolated and be able to live on very little money, but you will learn a ton.

9. umiami06

umiami06 Member

I'm sure I can get the person who previously held this position to come on here and tell you about the lovely encounters with the Craig parents. They seem to be real winners.

Draft saved Draft deleted