1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/copy editor, Rockingham, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Sports writer/copy editor needed at six-day daily community newspaper in Eastern North Carolina. We cover state championship contender Richmond Senior High’s football team ranked No. 3 in the state last year. We cover other high school prep and community sports including national drag racing championships. Benefits include paid vacation; 401k; health, dental and vision insurance; and paid holidays. An energetic self-starting writer with page design and some photography skills should send resume and three to five writing samples by e-mail to sstenberg@yourdailyjournal.com or by mail to Attention: Stacy Stenberg, Editor, Richmond County Daily Journal, P.O. Box 1888, Rockingham, NC 28380.

2. butch

butch Member

Not much to do, but living expenses are very low. A good place for recent college grad to start. I think there's been quite a bit of turnover in recent years, particularly in sports. About an hour east of Charlotte.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

if any questions, PM me as I have knowledge of the place.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Two or three years ago, I would have told you to jump on this gig. But a new company bought the paper, cleared out a bunch of the staff for cost-cutting reasons and I imagine the pay is probably much, much lower than what it used to be. It may be a good place for somebody young to work and it is a cheap place to live, so you'll probably survive. But I'd be weary of this place now. The publisher is a big-time sleeze ball. The community offers one high school (big into football though) and four junior high schools. You will cover junior high ball. It's not a bad place to live, but there's not a whole lot there to do. PM me, too, if you want any more insight.

5. OneWhoKnows

OneWhoKnows Guest

If you could hop in your time machine and go back four years, you'd love this job. In the present day, however, run from it like the plague! The Daily Journal has a lot of issues (no pun intended) ... ownership, sagging readership, printing at a plant that 45 minutes away (early deadline, late delivery), very small staff, leadership, etc. The community is great – very sports oriented – but not a lot to do for a recent college grad.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

This should tell you all you need to know. The Associate Editor is leaving the paper to take a job at the Trenton, N.J., paper. (How bad must it be if he's going to Trenton, with all the horror stories). He was hired as the sports editor, but when the new company bought the Richmond County Daily Journal, the sports editor was given the Associate Editor title, adding more responsibility on his plate without much of a pay raise -- if he got one at all. Instead of hiring an Associate Editor, they're going to find a sportswriter, pay them less and then heap the responsibilities of the Associate Editor on other people. Classy joint.

Draft saved Draft deleted