1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Copy Editor, Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Jun 16, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

that's right. it's a 30K with a six-person staff. Expect to do a little of everything. Just like at most other 30K papers. Everyone on that staff covers events and helps out on the desk; not always on the same night, but it happens. The new guy will do the same. Those who don't think they can handle it...well, don't apply, I suppose. This is not unheard of.

2. KColston

KColston New Member

I know the SE is a great guy. I've strung for him before.

3. Duton

Duton Member

Hey folks, a quick clarification (I work at this shop for those who don't know). There are enough guys on staff capable of doing pagination that the person in this position doesn't have to do pages when he's covering a game. The sports editor actually does the heavy lifting on page design anyway, and all this position really has to do every night is the wire page, which is a template and remarkably easy. As anyone who went to college with me will tell you, I'm awful at page layout, and I can do it pretty easy, so that tells you a lot. As I've said before, the grind with this job is difficult -- more difficult than mine -- because you're doing it five nights a week, but learning from Chris Simmons is invaluable, the schedule gives you time to do projects. Considering how few jobs are open right now, I think this is an extremely worthwhile gig.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Did Chris happen to mention he received no worthwhile applicants the first go-around on this job listing a month ago?

5. JackReacher

Any recent college grad, or even those not so recent, that doesn't apply for this gig.....well, it's your own damn fault.

Even if it means having to work with Duton. :D

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

Ryan I'm assuming that either you have worked at this paper before or are currently on staff?
    Also can anybody tell me how Steve Trosky is doing since he moved to Richmond?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Steve's doing.

8. JackReacher

Wrong and wrong.

9. Believe me, I wish I could. If this position had come open 10 months from now, my application would be in the mail.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Does anybody know if they've moved on this yet? (Yeah, I know, I'm hired.) But seriously....

11. Scouter

Scouter Member

After six days? Umm ... highly doubtful.

12. JackReacher

How bout now? Just kidding.

I'd expect something to be finalized by the end of July, but that's just an educated guess. I know Simmons takes his time to find the right person for the job, which is good. He doesn't settle.

Harrisonburg is a nice college town and not far from a bunch of big cities should you feel the need to road trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted