1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Copy Editor, Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Jun 16, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The Daily News-Record, a 32,000-circulation Monday-Saturday newspaper (no Sunday edition) in Harrisonburg, Va., is seeking a sports copy editor/reporter. The job entails nightly desk work -- meaning pagination skills are essential -- and includes writing a handful of stories each week, including home coverage of a Division I women's basketball team. It's also an ideal position for somebody who's interested in long-term projects. We have a six-person, news-oriented sports staff. Harrisonburg is a college town -- James Madison University and two small colleges are here -- in the Shenandoah Valley, two hours southwest of D.C.
    Essentially, this is an entry-level job, though applicants with a year or two of experience also will be considered. If you applied for this job earlier, we're still considering some of you; I haven't contacted people because I want a bigger pool of finalists before doing so. New applicants can send a cover letter and clips to csimmons@dnronline.com or Chris Simmons, Sports Editor, Daily News-Record, 231 S. Liberty St., Harrisonburg, Va. 22803. We'd prefer East Coast applicants.
  2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

No offense, but do they expect you to cover a d-1 women's basketball program and still work desk five nights a week. What do they do expect you to cover a game and then come back write a story and lay the section out?
  4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know someone from this paper who has gone on to very big things. Everything I hear about the SE is good.
  6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Does this: "If you applied for this job earlier, we're still considering some of you; I haven't contacted people because I want a bigger pool of finalists before doing so."

Equal this: "The people who applied sucked and we couldn't find one worthy candidate of this position."

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's interesting because the advertisement states they are preferably looking for an entry-level reporter. You'd imagine they've had everything from highly experienced reporters to entry-level reporters applying so there would have to have been someone qualified enough who has already put their name in the hat.
  8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Sorry, had to.
  9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Maybe not at a shop that wants you to primarily design.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll say this again. This is a good gig with tons of opportunities. The person hired will work his/her ass off, but when you move on to bigger and better things -- and chances are you will -- you'll be a better reporter. Guaranteed.

This person won't be responsible for covering a game and coming back to design the section. Maybe the agate page or something else late, but not the entire section. And if you're not capable of covering a game and helping out on desk after, you're not cut out for this biz. Find another line of work.
  11. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

12. thebigd

thebigd Member

Ryan not everybody is as good or as fast as you. I've covered the gamers and helped out with late prep calls etc...If there is a staff of six with no sunday, it would seem to me that there should be enough deskers in the house.
Draft saved Draft deleted